Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   HELP- Bravo 1 lower options- (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/127646-help-bravo-1-lower-options.html)

Edgemts 04-16-2006 10:00 AM

HELP- Bravo 1 lower options-

Unfortunately I hit a poorly marked rock ledge yesterday and destroyed my prop and took off a large chunk of my bravo lower. :mad:
I don't believe the shaft is bent but?
Formula 271 496 Mag - Bravo 1 w 1.65
I have been thinking about a Whipple supercharger or other mods but this needs to be fixed first.
Should I buy an XR lower, will it bolt on?
Any benefits/drawbacks?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Is it true the standard Bravo 1 lower becomes inefficient at 70mph?
Thanks in Advance

GOODT 04-16-2006 10:39 AM

Re: HELP- Bravo 1 lower options-

xr lower will bolt up with out any problems just remember a drive is only as good as the weakest part..... If you took out the prop more then likely your fractored a gear or twisted a shaft have your drive gone though by someone who knows what to look for, make sure that they check the upper gears very carefully alot of times a quick look every thing looks fine then 20 or 30 hrs latter it will give it up due to a small fracture or stressed tooth

If it where me Id try to get the shop to talk to ins aduster and get them to pay for a complete drive and go for complete xr

NOMOGOFAST 04-16-2006 11:13 AM

Great advice, most likely you'll find more than you think. Definitely check the upper gear set and vertical shaft for damage. You might put it all back together, and grenade the upper. Fix it before it breaks cost alot less $$$$$$. Hope it all works out.

Edgemts 04-16-2006 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by GOODT
xr lower will bolt up with out any problems just remember a drive is only as good as the weakest part..... If you took out the prop more then likely your fractored a gear or twisted a shaft have your drive gone though by someone who knows what to look for, make sure that they check the upper gears very carefully alot of times a quick look every thing looks fine then 20 or 30 hrs latter it will give it up due to a small fracture or stressed tooth

If it where me Id try to get the shop to talk to ins aduster and get them to pay for a complete drive and go for complete xr

Thanks for the advice,
The lower shaft is bent, so as you suggest I will have the entire drive replaced, I spoke to a friend that owns a marina and he is recommending the same.
SO now I need to learn about the XR, prop differences etc.
or are there any differences?

Now I am back to my on-going dilemma,
Whipple-
or just ecu/ misc upgrades.

Still have 4+ years of warranty left on entire package, but now I am going to assume the drive will be out, since its being replaced.

GOODT 04-16-2006 10:14 PM

hub will be different(bravo has 1 in shaft xr 1 1/4 shaft) if your running a touq- flow easy swap about 100.00 if going with solid hub