Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Trim Pump problem? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/129160-trim-pump-problem.html)

Dock Holiday 05-03-2006 01:58 PM

Trim Pump problem?

Last year my port outdrive was running VERY slow. I thought it was the pump and replaced it but the same problem existed. Turned out to be a ground issue and problem solved.

I changed the starboard pump this winter hoping to have both running closer to the same speed and now it moves about half the speed of the port (worse then before).

Checked the grounds first thing and all looks great.

This is about to drive me nuts. For a year now I have had two drives running at different speeds and it is a pain to have to do each seperately.

The dealer checked the cylinders, lines, etc last fall and all was good. He actually found the ground problem.

What would you guys be checking at this point?

JaayTeee 05-03-2006 04:59 PM

Re: Trim Pump problem?

I'd be checking voltages first......it's easy enough to do.

Check what the positive voltage is on the
motor side of the "up" solenoid, if low,( compared to batt. voltage) work back to the pos. source, and find where it drops.

Test for a voltage drop from the trim pump
ground to battery neg.( should be minimal)

speedreeder 05-04-2006 12:32 AM

How old is the boat? If your dealer did not tear down the trim rams, I think they may be your problem. I have had the same problem, rebuilt rams, and they work great.

Dock Holiday 05-04-2006 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
I'd be checking voltages first......it's easy enough to do.

Check what the positive voltage is on the
motor side of the "up" solenoid, if low,( compared to batt. voltage) work back to the pos. source, and find where it drops.

Test for a voltage drop from the trim pump
ground to battery neg.( should be minimal)

I'll check that tonight and see what I get.

Thank you

Strip Poker 388 05-04-2006 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Last year my port outdrive was running VERY slow. I thought it was the pump and replaced it but the same problem existed. Turned out to be a ground issue and problem solved.

I changed the starboard pump this winter hoping to have both running closer to the same speed and now it moves about half the speed of the port (worse then before).

Checked the grounds first thing and all looks great.

This is about to drive me nuts. For a year now I have had two drives running at different speeds and it is a pain to have to do each separately.

The dealer checked the cylinders, lines, etc last fall and all was good. He actually found the ground problem.

What would you guys be checking at this point?

You might have 2 different pumps.drive or tab pump,I just changed mine and the new one is fast.also do they have the same fluid ?I bought mine from Bam its like a universal trim pump that comes on drive packages.I don't know if there is a diff in the valving for different drive ??? I need to replace the other to get them closer. guess Im fixing to have the same prob as you :eek:

Rob

Dock Holiday 05-04-2006 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by speedreeder
How old is the boat? If your dealer did not tear down the trim rams, I think they may be your problem. I have had the same problem, rebuilt rams, and they work great.

Thanks, when I rule out a voltage problem, I'll look at that next.

The boat is a 2002 model with 300 hours on it. They did not tear them down, he had a pressure test tool that he hooked up from what I understand.

Elite Marine 05-04-2006 08:46 AM

There are different pumps with different valving. I just went through this same issue.

I had a pump that was so slow and couldn't lift the drive under power. The pump was new, but the valving was wrong. Mechanic replaced the valving and it works perfect.

Dock Holiday 05-04-2006 09:42 PM

Turned out to be low voltage. All is fixed and it is working well. The two drives are not in complete sinc with each other put pretty close. I was a little low on drive fluid on both as well! :rolleyes: