Notices

Milk in valve covers!

Old 05-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Milk in valve covers!

Originally Posted by miamioffshore
Yes, and I cant get a reading on it, never comes on, that engine has always run at 3 psi water pressure wide open (crossover no t-stat) the other runs 5 psi water pressure and has no condensation. I'm going to put the re-circ pump back on & t-stat back in. But in the mean time tnt says the milk has rusted my valve springs etc, and I need a rebuild? Any suggestions?
Water presure ??? You might want to ck the line to see if any block rust or sand is blocking your reading .I wouldnt think 5 psi would be enough to cool it.

Have have some pick to post of condesation on the valve covers when I get home tonight.

If it has that mush condesation I would think the oil temp is not get up to what jpclear
said about 212..

My old Scarab blower motor didnt have a oil thermstate and had condesation real bad on the valve covers,it never hurt anything,It also would heat the oil up to 240-260 running hard at 12lbs of boost

On my race car and street cars it condesates also and never rusted the springs .

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:39 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CanDo
Does the thermostat control water temp. I wouldnt want to see milkshake in my engine ever! Change the oil get rid of the shake.
A Tstat controlls the temp, if you run in salt run a 160 if you run in fresh you can go 180 the increase in temp will help to get rid of the condensation.

Phil
Old 05-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by miamioffshore
Yes, and I cant get a reading on it, never comes on, that engine has always run at 3 psi water pressure wide open (crossover no t-stat) the other runs 5 psi water pressure
That seems low. No restriction. Shouldn't there be more pressure to make sure you have a good fill to prevent steam pockets?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
That seems low. No restriction. Shouldn't there be more pressure to make sure you have a good fill to prevent steam pockets?
Yes I agree that is too low, I'm having the old owner send me the re-circ pumps and I'm going to re-install them (thus removing the crossover and reinstalling the t-stat), that should bring the pressure up. Bringing the pressure up and having a t-stat should bring the temp up and hopefully solve the problem. I'm thinking I'll have them clean the cream cheese out of the valve covers and then I'll put on the re-circ pump and see if I get condensation still, provided the valve springs aren't bad enough. TNT is telling me to send the engine out and have it torn down completly, I think that's alot of money to spend when clearly condensation seems to be the problem, and the cause being no t-stat. I am going to have them check the head gaskets while the engine is out of the boat, just to make sure, but as everyone has said, if it's not the head gaskets or the intake manifold AND the water isn't in the crank , what other than condensation could it be?
Old 05-10-2006, 05:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you getting excessive steam out of your exhaust pipes ? If not looks more like condensation .
Old 05-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Rob
VIP Member

This is condensation.This much doesn't show up in the oil,But again its a race car engine

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Milk in valve covers!-camaro-11-05-055-medium-.jpg  

Old 05-10-2006, 09:46 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
This is condensation.This much doesn't show up in the oil,But again its a race car engine

Rob
is that a methanol engine?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Race gas.Its doesn't get any oil temps until a few passes but I figure the reason is it heats up fast and I cool it down real fast.Small radiator with fans and no grill,electric water pump.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Milk in valve covers!-camaro-11-05-049-medium-.jpg  

Old 05-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

On the older 500's I've seen the Gil Offshore manifolds get leaks and you get water reversion back into the motor and causes this problem. A few years ago, I helped a friend with this.

Also, wipe your finger on the valve spring. If you see brown on your finger you ought to replace those springs. I wouldn't think a total rebuild it needed unless you have high hours?

Also, I liked the crossovers with the thermostat and bypass.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:19 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Race gas.Its doesn't get any oil temps until a few passes but I figure the reason is it heats up fast and I cool it down real fast.Small radiator with fans and no grill,electric water pump.

Rob
Cool, ( is that a pun?) I am into roundy roundy myself, but the Baytown Dragstrip runs along the back fence of our pits, finish line is about halfway past the pits. We'll be busy working on the cars and glancing over to watch the action on the dragstrip.

http://www.houstonraceway.com/speedway.asp

Methanol causes bad condensation if you don't get it up to racing temps pretty quick. Keeps the motor nice and cool though.

Quick Reply: Milk in valve covers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.