Pontoon Question? >

Pontoon Question?

Notices

Pontoon Question?

Old 03-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pontoon Question?

Yea, I own a pontoon! I have painted it Camo and use it for Duck Hunting and Fishing.

It's a 20ft Nissan with a 50 hp Nissan outboard motor that run's great! The Question I have is...... It has Round pontoons that have Styrofoam in them, but the styrofoam is water logged and is REAL Heavy!! I'm not looking for more speed(I promise) but it would be nice to draft less water (Float higher) and it would be great to be lighter for the towing!

Can I remove the Styrofoam buy cutting off the back of the Pontoon at the weld, pull it out and weld it back? I have a buddy that own's a Feild welding shop, and he could weld it so it would not leak!
-I thought that only the U-Shaped Pontoons had Styrofoam in them?
-I don't think it has seperate air chambers that some of the round pontoons have, because I can't see any evidence of a weld on the outside, usually you can.
-What do you guy's think?
Old 03-08-2002, 11:10 AM
Luke_Chinewalker

remove the foam and fill the sponsons with Helium

Old 03-08-2002, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's think about this first....
#1 water is in the tanks now for the foam to get wet......WHY/HOW?
#2 If you remove the foam and water gets in, the pontoon sinks...alas, goodbye pontoon boat!

Removal of the foam , although possible is not the remedy unless the leak is found and the foam replaced. It may be cheaper & better for you to notify your insurance carrier of a leak in the pontoon & they will replace the pontoon at their cost, not yours. If you tamper with the pontoon, you may invalidate any possibility of insurance coverage! Bad deal. If you are not insured, maybe you should buy some coverage now from Farmers or State Farm or Allstate (pontoons are not that expensive to cover) and "discover" the leak at a later date????
Is that too devious?? No visible damage is necessary to have a claimable incident & if they fix it and cancel so what! Your fixed!

Their are also places to get the foam replaced and reweld/pressure test the tanks. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2002, 12:18 PM
Registered

There was a large hole or crack in one of the weld's back by the motor that I had fixed!
Then we pressure tested that side and found no other leaks!!

The other side pressure tested fine, but the foam feels heavy, but that is just what I can feel with a finger or stick through the drain plug hole! (That sounds kinda funny)
Old 03-08-2002, 01:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about removing the old foam and filling it with urethane foam or the same product that Boston Whaler uses?

Styrofoam (sp) doesn't absorb water.
How could it feel heavy?

Last edited by Iggy; 03-08-2002 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:53 PM
cashmoney

Troutly , I couldn't imagine creeping around a river with that thing looking for something to shoot.You can't even fit any girlies on that toy.maybe it's just me.
Funhome take your shotgun and aim it at your japanese "boat" and fire three times then report back to us about it's condition...Just joking..If the round pontoons are air tight then why refill them with foam??..have fun

Old 03-08-2002, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you would be OK to take the foam out, however I would replace it with something else, more foam, rubber blatter?,
Old 03-08-2002, 04:49 PM
Registered

I was thinking about a rubber bladder also!

Iggy, maybe somekind of styrofoam doesn't get waterlogged by the stuff in the pontoon does! It's kinda like the older white styrofoam used to float dock's on, it would get heavy as sh*t!!
What kind does Boston Whaler use? Is it sprayable?

cash, I know it's the only forien anything I own!! I got a real good deal on it! You are thinking like me, If it holds air then I'm good to go!!

Troutly, there's not any room for the cooler of beverage!! or girl's!
How cold is it up there? still got ice? we do on the river in places!
Old 03-08-2002, 06:05 PM
Wildfire

I have read that the key to foaming is getting closed cell foam. Apparently it can't soak up moisture.

We used to have boat with no flotation. We were going to have some sprayed in by a company that does the new spray-on house insulation. They said they can do both kinds, open and closed cell, that is. The boat sold before I got that far.

Basically, I have no hands on experience with this. I do like the idea of a camo pontoon. My uncle had one a LOTO. Used to fish from his.

Old 03-08-2002, 10:42 PM
Registered

Closed cell sounds like a good idea, anyone have any other leads on how to get ahold of some? I'll try the phone book for sprayon insulation, but I thought that was like the stuff you get from Home Depot and is kinda like groundup newspaper?

You must be talking about something more like "Great Stuff" in a can and can be sprayed into cracks and such!!

Thanks!

Wildfire- I thought a camo pontoon would work to hunt out of because it would be more stable and you would have more room, yet still get in the back of the coves! So far it's worked pretty good, we just need to do a better job on the blind!
(And get rid of some weight!)

Quick Reply: Pontoon Question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.