Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Air Conditioning Water Pick-up (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/131249-air-conditioning-water-pick-up.html)

Boomer 880 05-28-2006 04:37 PM

Air Conditioning Water Pick-up

My AC unit pulls water from under the boat to cool the cabin (I think most work like this). In the engine bay, there is a shut-off valve just after the pick-up. Does this need to remain closed while running the boat, and opened only when you are stopped and turning on the AC? Can is cause peoblems if left open all of the time?

Sorry... first boat with AC.

Thanks!

GOODT 05-28-2006 04:43 PM

Re: Air Conditioning Water Pick-up

no you can leave it open all the time

Dock Holiday 05-28-2006 07:51 PM

You can leave it open, however it will pump water through the system as you boat and you will have a stream coming our the exit hole at the bow. My only concern was that if you ever sprung a leak anywhere in the system you could pump a lot of water into the boat before you knew it.

I always turn my valve to the closed position while boating.

Ratickle 05-28-2006 09:45 PM

Is there any reason not to put a air or gen water pickup off of the transom where it will not be in the water at speed? There would never be a reason to run either at speed would there?

GOODT 05-29-2006 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ratickle
Is there any reason not to put a air or gen water pickup off of the transom where it will not be in the water at speed? There would never be a reason to run either at speed would there?

welcome to the word of fountain ect

thats the best way to do it, but usually requires pulling a mtr

Ratickle 05-29-2006 06:00 AM

Anybody out there have pictures of pickups not in the water but using a transom mounted pickup? The BT has two pickups out the bottom but I always thought anything disturbing the water flow in front of the drives was wrong.

Linster 05-29-2006 06:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put mine here, But I had to pull the engine

BajaRunner 05-29-2006 06:46 AM

I just move mine without pulling the engine. Mine was on the bottom, and is on the transom now. used the a/c yesterday and it works great. Ill go get a pic of it.

Boomer 880 05-29-2006 08:15 AM

What did you use to plug the old hole? Or, did you reglass and gelcoat ?

Ratickle 05-29-2006 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Boomer 880
What did you use to plug the old hole? Or, did you reglass and gelcoat ?

My next question also. I was thinking of having a stainless plate made that fit in the same location and bolt pattern.