Small amount of condensation on my oil filler cap? On 350 Mag engine

Notices

Small amount of condensation on my oil filler cap? On 350 Mag engine

Old 06-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small amount of condensation on my oil filler cap? On 350 Mag engine

Its only on the Right side engine (in picture) with the soft exhaust hose? I checked the dip stick and nothing creamy or even a little discolored, just a small amount of water drops on the cap with a little milky oil, but very little.

Could I be drawing water in from the exhaust on this engine?

Last edited by 2 Trick Rick; 07-03-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:38 AM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Small amount of condensation on my oil filler cap? On 350 Mag engine

Very common on raw water cooled engines, the temps they run at do not burn off the condensation very well. Most of the time it will go away after a long run.

Phil
Old 06-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Registered

Default Re: Small amount of condensation on my oil filler cap? On 350 Mag engine

Originally Posted by MOP
Very common on raw water cooled engines, the temps they run at do not burn off the condensation very well. Most of the time it will go away after a long run.

Phil
like mop said.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Racer
Racer

I wonder if someone removed the thermostat on that engine? I’ll check that tonight – it does run a lot cooler than the left one.

Thanks Guys!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOP

Phil
Yes, I noticed a lot of steam coming out of the breathers on my motor. Dr. Jerry (the local boat mechanic that hangs out at the marina and drinks beer with us every weekend) said the same thing--that the marine environment tends to lead to condensation and that the motor running at 140 is not enough to burn it all off if you are only taking it for short runs.

I am going to take my old boat out to Jobbie Nooner on Friday, about a 10 mile run each way. I'll let you know if it's still steaming at the end of the day--unless I'm tied up with half naked 19 year old chicks!!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 05:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you're going to replace that exhaust hose before going anywhere. That doesn't look good. I wouldn't trust it.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Registered

Thanks for this thread.

I had noticed some condensation in my breather tubes from the valve covers to the flame arrestor on a 260hp V8 after a short run time (first of the season)... and right after I replaced my wet exhausts with new ones. Freaked me out but the oil looks good.