Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Drive Oil in Bilge (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/134236-drive-oil-bilge.html)

Powerful Addiction 07-02-2006 07:08 PM

Drive Oil in Bilge

I am getting drive oil in my bilge on the port motor side. I have checked the bottle and the line and it seems to be fine. I am losing oil from the bottle, so I added some oil and cleaned up the bilge and after a 20 mile run the oil was back. I have a XR drive and it is a 2005. Any suggestions on how the oil would get on the bilge side of the drive. I also checked the drive oil and I have no water or any other debris in it.

Tim

GOODT 07-02-2006 07:12 PM

Re: Drive Oil in Bilge

A) is cap tight

B) asuming that there are no leaks in the line or fitting.......drive oil back filling usually will blow the cap off but not always, it is a sign the the drive is over heating could just be from hard running without a drive shower or could be from a bearing starting to go bad..... Which is the most common cause that Ive seen

Powerful Addiction 07-02-2006 07:43 PM

The cap is tight and I have seen no oil around the resevoir. The transome wall does not show any oil running down it. this has become a mystery to me and I have checked all of the obvious things that I can think of.

raytart 07-02-2006 07:46 PM

That happened to me yesterday also!
But that morning I added a little oil to the reservoir.
I thought I put the cap on correctly but after checking it - I think I crossed the threads. After I added more oil and re-secured the cap It kinda felt like the cap popped a thread when I tightened it. Did it again and it was fine. I'll have to keep an eye on it. After reading GOODT's post I'm a little concerned about the overheat issue because I had to remove my drive shower because I added a drive spacer and now the shower tube is too short. :confused: Did you get 2 short beeps as a warning? (525 xr its) I was also running pretty hard for about 1/2 hour wide open.

GOODT 07-02-2006 07:52 PM

raytart, most of the shower manufacturs will make custom length hoses

raytart 07-02-2006 07:59 PM

Mine is not a hose. It's a stainless tube. I'll have to get something to replace it.
Thanks

raytart 07-02-2006 08:15 PM

There's another post here called Over flowing drive fluid. Sounds like the same problem. Check it out.

Powerful Addiction 07-02-2006 09:14 PM

I have drive showers, but I am still getting the residue on the drives from being hot. The drive showers that I have are incorporated inot the steering plate that is used by the latham steering and the plate is livorsi. The shower only dumps water ont he top of the drive and does nothing for the sides. It might be boiling over, but I would think I would find traces on the transome wall or traces around the bottle hanger. It is never wet around them, so I did not think it was that. Is there a way fro the oil to get from the upper seal of the drive inot the transome?