Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Blower Motors (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/134349-blower-motors.html)

dean51267 07-04-2006 05:37 PM

Blower Motors

What maintenance and other things does an owner of a blower motor need to know vs. a non-blower motor? Maintenance? Longevity of motors? I am comfortable around naturally aspirated motors, but have never messed with blowers at all, so I do not know what I do not know, but have been looking at a boat with a pair in it. Thanks.....

Smitty 07-04-2006 09:12 PM

Re: Blower Motors

Must always run premium fuel and change the oil every 20 hours. Other than that nothing else. Blower motors sure are fun!!!! I will never have a nother boat without them.

customryder 07-04-2006 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty
Must always run premium fuel and change the oil every 20 hours. Other than that nothing else. Blower motors sure are fun!!!! I will never have a nother boat without them.

what he said

monstaaa 07-04-2006 09:30 PM

easier chancr of detonation on a blower motor. less time between freshen up's. typically a 750/800 single four can go 100++ hrs, a blower is usually around 60 for the same power. more filth in the bilge, oil , belt dust, etc,,, .and they can make the rear passengers a little deaf from the whine after a long run. and typically you cant kep them bricked as long either.

a good engine builder can build a great blower motor that lasts. just need's the good stuff on the inside.

good luck, hope this was a help.

GOODT 07-04-2006 10:10 PM

and dont forget to change the blower oil

dean51267 07-04-2006 10:21 PM

so big picture is change blower oil every time change engine oil, change engine oil every 20 hours or so, pay more attention than usual to routine maintenance, keep a closer eye on things, and plan on reworking motors one a year or so.....

Am I missing anything???

Jeff - who you going to have do your maintenance? Or are you going to?

monstaaa 07-05-2006 04:51 PM

valve adjustments.

44MTI 07-05-2006 05:06 PM

Having owned several blower motors, It really is not much different than N/A. It all comes back to how much HP you want to make. More hp = more maintenance.Octane is probably a little more crucial do to increased heat, but the compression should be set accordingly. Valve adjustments are a factor of the cam and valve train, not the blower. I have have had HP900's last well over 100 hrs(178 actually).

monstaaa 07-05-2006 06:38 PM

having installed , dressed , maintained, tested, and in many cases run well over 200 blower motors( and similiar n/a) is how and where my statements derive from. depending on the owner and his habits of driving as well as the engine builder and his use of quality machining process,attention to assembly , use of high quality parts, craete's a very large variable. in my oppinion it is safe to say power to power the less moving part's the better, n/a will almost alway's prevail. blower motor's inherently make more heat and do in fact require more maintainance, from more frequent oil change intervals to valve adjustment's.

one must also remeber ther is no substitution for cubic inches, and if your wallet is feeling heavy, then blow it baby . blow it. :eek:

with all due .

articfriends 07-05-2006 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by dean51267
What maintenance and other things does an owner of a blower motor need to know vs. a non-blower motor? Maintenance? Longevity of motors? I am comfortable around naturally aspirated motors, but have never messed with blowers at all, so I do not know what I do not know, but have been looking at a boat with a pair in it. Thanks.....

Really depends on what kind of blower motors. I have heard of guys running 525sc's for 3 or 4 hundred hours,merc says 850/1075's should be rebuilt every 50-60 hours so there is ALOT of difference. My procharged 502 was tired at 150 hours,I ran it 3 seasons (175 hours) and it was burning oil,leaking oil and had BAD blowby. I ran my procharged 540 125hrs (2 seasons)before rebuilding it,still ran strong but puffed a little oil out exhaust,there were parts that would have created issues if I had tryed to run it another season (rollers in timing chain were pitted,valve guides were loose,one valve was SAWING thru guide,crane gold rockers wre a tiny bit loose,comp cams hyd roller lifters were starting to scuff). Tyler crockett told me a blower motor should be rebuilt every 25-35 hours of run time in boost but I think he was talking about a roller cam race motor thats pegged at 6000 for those hours. I change my 2 quart oil filter every 5-8 hours and my oil and filter every 10-16 hours (like every 2-3 weekends of running sat and sunday). Alot of blower motors run a little rich and cold and get fuel dilution,I have over 25,000$ in my motor so I change oil in the intervals I just mentioned,the stuff is usually dark and thinned out, just starting to break down so its good insurance against hurting motor.Tell us what motors your looking at,Smitty