Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   2 Pc. Valve Covers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/144565-2-pc-valve-covers.html)

Kidnova 11-07-2006 08:47 AM

2 Pc. Valve Covers

Pulled the engine out of the boat a few weeks ago and trial fitted my KE exhaust. I plan to bolt them on next season. With the KE exhaust in place, it looks getting the valve covers off and then back on will be a real pizzer. Would 2 piece valve covers be easier to get off/on ?

If so, can 2 pc. valve covers be had for reasonable $$ and from who/where ? Also, I've heard some 2 pc. covers will leak a little..... that right ?

Recommendations/advice would be appreciated.

jdnca1 11-07-2006 08:56 AM

Re: 2 Pc. Valve Covers

I ran 2 piece on an old motor and loved them. (especially for setting valve lash) They are much easier to get on/off with only (2) thumb screws to deal with. It is true that they can leak a little, but once you get the feel for them and the O-ring to slide in right they don't leak a bit. I think Trick marine sells them or has a version... I'm sure CP has them also.

KAAMA 11-07-2006 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jdnca1
I ran 2 piece on an old motor and loved them. (especially for setting valve lash) They are much easier to get on/off with only (2) thumb screws to deal with. It is true that they can leak a little, but once you get the feel for them and the O-ring to slide in right they don't leak a bit.

I heard they have supposedly fixed the leaking problem on those KE 2-piece valve covers compared to the earlier version. Glenns is using the fixed version on his engines as they're being dyno tested at WESCO....so far NO LEAKS, but I want to see if there are still no leaks as the engines sit in the boat because I would be interested in those valve covers myself. I think they're about $500 per pair and for that kind of $$$ I wouldn't expect that they should be leaking.

AIR TIME 11-07-2006 06:02 PM

Trick Has A New Design Coming Out This Winter Wait And See I Think Jan Or Feb I Can't Wait. :d :d :d

Vinny P 11-07-2006 06:20 PM

My 2 year old 2 piece KE covers leak like hell. I had to run a bead of silicone around the 'O'-ring to stop the leak. So much for easy removal. :mad:

Kidnova 11-08-2006 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by KAAMA
I heard they have supposedly fixed the leaking problem on those KE 2-piece valve covers compared to the earlier version. Glenns is using the fixed version on his engines as they're being dyno tested at WESCO....so far NO LEAKS, but I want to see if there are still no leaks as the engines sit in the boat because I would be interested in those valve covers myself. I think they're about $500 per pair and for that kind of $$$ I wouldn't expect that they should be leaking.

KAMMA - I heard/read the leak problem is solved too, but I have no 1st hand knowledge of that. Seems that if they will withstand the dyno, they should be ok in the boat. Guess time will tell. If you think of it let me know how they do ?

Thanks for the input gents !!