Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   switching from MEFI-1 to MEFI-3,4a,4b (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/149307-switching-mefi-1-mefi-3-4a-4b.html)

ls1nova 01-15-2007 04:08 PM

switching from MEFI-1 to MEFI-3,4a,4b

What is involved physically? Can the pinout's be changed around or will I need a new harness?
I'm planning on adding a whipple kit, but I have the MEFI 1 computer right now (98 502 mag/efi) so I will have to update so it can read the 2 bar map sensor.

Is there any advantage for me to go with the 4a/4b? Or will a MEFI 3 suit me just fine?

Thanks for the insight,
Frank

tomdjoe 01-15-2007 04:19 PM

Re: switching from MEFI-1 to MEFI-3,4a,4b

Looks like your underwear got changed again. It's a keeper this week!!:rolleyes:

ls1nova 01-15-2007 04:23 PM

Hey Joe.
I figure if I'm not going to get an bigger one, then I'm going to make mine faster:evilb: :D You know I can't leave anything alone.

Frank

Quent 01-15-2007 04:26 PM

A 4A does not have the ability to "detail" your fuel relative to boost like the 4B. The 4B is the way to go. Call Tyler Crockett at Crockett Marine. He is the best. Be sure to map your computer to your sepcific engine, ie, dyno as you build the parameters.

ls1nova 01-15-2007 04:30 PM

Thanks Quent. as of right now the motor is stock besides the KE headers. So what I have to do is come up with a computer to send to Whipple so they can put their program in it as part of the kit. I'm just trying to figure out which computer would be best/most economical to send them.

Thanks,
Frank

Quent 01-16-2007 06:37 PM

Frank, Dustin at Whipple may have a preprogrammed computer for your particular 502 setup. Have the engine specifics when you call to order. If there isn't a canned program, it is imperative that you dyno your motor with the modifications, ie, Whipple, cam changes if any, etc, so that the computer is telling the rest of the system what to do based on your specific setup. Things like timing, fuel pump pressures, any other things that can be monitered by the computer.

Getting the details right on the front end are imperative. I've been there and mistakes are costly in bucks, time and peace of mind. Best of luck, Quent

TylerCrockett 01-16-2007 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by ls1nova (Post 1994283)
Thanks Quent. as of right now the motor is stock besides the KE headers. So what I have to do is come up with a computer to send to Whipple so they can put their program in it as part of the kit. I'm just trying to figure out which computer would be best/most economical to send them.

Thanks,
Frank

Frank give me a call I have the wiring harnesses and ecu's. Tyler 8103242720.