CMI Headers

Old 01-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: CMI Headers

Originally Posted by otis311
CMI has both my sets now to see why they are leaking with only 70 hours on them. I should have an answer within the next few days.
....Because Ken never flushed the boat. Didn't he mention that? haha ---- LOL.

Seriously, as you know, Ken takes pristine care of his boats.... rephrase --- Ken pays very well for guys to take pristine care of his boats!

Good luck. I had the same problem w/ my 500's. Have them give you a deal on some sport-tubes for replacement.

Joe
Old 01-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Old
That's true.

I know the history of this boat and engine package.
And Fred actually believed the seller!!!

Just kidding, Fred. Thanks again for all your help w/ my CMI issue last year. Sorry CMI wouldn't do what we wanted them to do re: the bolt pattern issue.

Again --- Thanks to the "anonymous" person that did what you did. Sorry I can't acknowledge you publically.

Joe
Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe, Would you please give me a call

Bob
518 361-6521
Old 03-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMI Headers

The biggest problem with any header, is that the inner pipe heats up faster than the outer and the outer pipe cools faster than the inner , thus causing the welds or pipe to crack. CMI has been working on this problem for years. They finially found the solution by welding the outer pipe about 3/4" back onto the inner pipe away from the and the inner pipe directly to the mounting flange. We used to have to pressure test our headers every 20 hours, (for leaks), during our normal PM cycle because of this problem. Through hard work and testing CMI has corrected the cracking problem. Our headers are now lasting as long as our motors. CMI has also come out with a new one piece header that we have now gone to with NO problems. During our early years with CMI we threw away NO less than 30 to 40 sets of headers. Please note: I do not have any relations with CMI except as the end user of there product. We have been using CMI Headers for over 15 years on our motors. The shorten outer pipe design has been out since around 2005 or 06.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Registered

Gonna call tomm. see what they can do...just in case..to avoid future headaches..
Old 07-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Registered

I've been through four sets (read as four engine re-builds) in 70 hours on my Baja. I finally gave up after the bills from last year and ordered two new pairs of Hardin Marine headers. I've heard from some local guys running them that they are zero failures, not like the CMI POS's. My advice to everyone... replace your headers NOW with something else. It is the same price as one rebuild and you will be good for many hours of happy boating.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Registered

I know this is an old thread, but I went through two 525 motors thanks to CMI. This yr I lost a CMI header to cracks.
Now a buddy has a crack on a 700 boat and when you look inside the motor its all pitted up.

Any ideas what this repair might cost him on a 700 boat. Motor runs like a champ still..