Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Removing outdrive and problem with shift cable, need help! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/151269-removing-outdrive-problem-shift-cable-need-help.html)

East Coast B 02-11-2007 01:11 PM

Removing outdrive and problem with shift cable, need help!

I pulled both drives(Bravo 1's) and the port jaws in the out drive stays forward in open position when I pry it up and release the shift cable... all is good!

Starboard drive when pulled, I released the shift cable from the jaws and the jaws pull back into the outdrive. I used a pair of pliers to pull the jaws forward to get them into an open position ready to receive the shift cable. HOWEVER, the jaws spring back into the outdrive. Did this several times..... WHAT is causing the jaws to spring back into the drive.

Both drives are in nuetral shift position at the helm..

Any thoughts on how to fix this springing back into outdrive problem???

Thanks!!!!

88Fount33 02-11-2007 01:21 PM

Wish I could help, but I've only dealt with Alpha and TRS drives. Alpha's all have to be shifted into "forward" to be able to pull the drive. Don't know about Bravo's as I think you have. (TRS needs nothing done as it is shifted in the transmission).

oldandtired 02-11-2007 01:54 PM

It must not be going far enough forward to disengage the ball detent that centers the shift mechanism. You can pull the rear cover on the drive to see it yourself. My drive has never done that but the mechanism is very simple. It might stop doing it if you rotate the input shaft by about a half a turn. The gear "backs" that ride on the shifter cam have some wobble buit in. This aids is gear engagement, but can make it difficult in a static condition. Try turning the input shaft a bit before being concerned at all about pulling the rear cover. I am pretty sure that this will solve the problem. BTW, I am assuming a bravo drive and that it was working properly before you pulled it.

Rene

East Coast B 02-11-2007 02:10 PM

Yes, bravo drive.

Can you direct me to the "input shaft" you suggest turning a bit?

Thanks!

And if I pull the back cover, any gaskets to be concerned with? Is there any fluid in there or just dry? Never had one apart before.

US1 Fountain 02-11-2007 04:47 PM

input shaft, the floppy shaft with the U-joint. :)
The rear cover uses an funky shaped O ring. Holds gear lube. You can buy a drive install oring kit that has that ring plus the ones used at the joint you just separated. I think it is less than $10. I recommend it. Either from WM or your Merc dealer.

Mr Gadgets 02-11-2007 05:31 PM

East Coast,
the input shaft needs to be rotating anytime you shift a Bravo. More than likely you have the gears in a position that wont let it go into gear. Just grab the greasy splined shaft that has the floppy ujoints on it.. and rotate and pull. I use a nail in a pair of vise grips to pop that little sucker out of its hole..

hope this helps
D*i*c*k