Can't get hose water to come up through bravo drive >

Can't get hose water to come up through bravo drive

Notices

Can't get hose water to come up through bravo drive

Old 03-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get hose water to come up through bravo drive

I'm not getting water to my raw water pump. I just dewinterized the boat. I'm using the quicksilver skewer muffs that worked just fine every other time I ran the boat in the yard.

I can get hose water to go from the raw water line out the drive pickup holes, but I have to cup my hands around the hose and build a little pressure up.

I removed the raw water hose- and still no water up through the fitting on the drive- even while holding the muffs tight on the drive with LOTS of water pressure on it.

Any ideas?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is very common for the transom to corode around the inlet hose and block water flow like you are having.Pull off the hose bib that is screwd to the inside of you transom,where the 1 1/2 hose connects to your water pump and see if the 3/4 hose is collapsed.

Nordic95
Old 03-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnect the inlet to the raw water pump and see if water comes out with the muffs on (obviously, with the engine off). If it does, then you have a raw water pump problem. If it doesn't, then you have to find the obstruction or leak. Check any components that may be in-line up stream of the pump. If nothing is there, you're going to have to pull the drive and check the hose that goes through the bell housing. The aluminum corrodes and will swell. This will restrict the hose. I found that on mine when I tore the transom down and I repaired it with epoxy. Two years later, I have no problems.

Rene

PS. Just read Nordic's response. I don't think that I can even get that fitting off without pulling the engine on my boat, but it is another place to look.

Last edited by oldandtired; 03-14-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by oldandtired
Disconnect the inlet to the raw water pump and see if water comes out with the muffs on (obviously, with the engine off). If it does, then you have a raw water pump problem. If it doesn't, then you have to find the obstruction or leak. Check any components that may be in-line up stream of the pump. If nothing is there, you're going to have to pull the drive and check the hose that goes through the bell housing. The aluminum corrodes and will swell. This will restrict the hose. I found that on mine when I tore the transom down and I repaired it with epoxy. Two years later, I have no problems.

Rene

PS. Just read Nordic's response. I don't think that I can even get that fitting off without pulling the engine on my boat, but it is another place to look.
I got the raw water hose off the drive- but even that was a tight squeeze. Still no water coming up from the drive.

I just read the manual on removing the drive.... step 4 was remove engine- I don't want to do that. Can't I just unhook everything from the inside, remove the 6 bolts and pull the sucker off?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Registered

Do you have the front water pick up on the drive taped off, so you can develop pressure?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phebus
Do you have the front water pick up on the drive taped off, so you can develop pressure?
Uhhhhh, what water pickup? I only have the holes on either side. Plus it worked great last season. Some something screwy.

I'm tempted to take into the shop and have them pull the drive, find the problem and also check the bellows and u-joint. I don't think the drive has been off in years.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zimm17
I got the raw water hose off the drive- but even that was a tight squeeze. Still no water coming up from the drive.

I just read the manual on removing the drive.... step 4 was remove engine- I don't want to do that. Can't I just unhook everything from the inside, remove the 6 bolts and pull the sucker off?

You Don't need to pull the engine to remove the drive unless you are talking about pulling the entire transom (unnecessary). Just remove the six bolts and the nuts/shafts for the trim rams. Pull the drive with the gear shift in neutral and un-clip the shifter. When you look at the bell housing from the aft, the hose is on the left side. It will be obvious if it is being constricted (at least at the rear). It takes a special tool (or some creativity) to install the insert that holds it in place. The hose can be a real pain to replace. I just cut the original insert to pull the hose and replaced it with a new one. I made a driver with a piece of pipe and a cutoff tool. From your description, it sounds like this is the most likely source of your problem. As long as you're there, check your gimbal bearing and bellows.

Rene

Last edited by oldandtired; 03-14-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Back it in the water and try. When impellers get weak they can't create enough suction to pull from the hose. If it is sealed good and water pressure doesn't do it then i'd check the impeller first.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Registered

I'm not even worried about the impeller- I can't even get water to it! Shouldn't I be able to get water from the ear muffs to the raw water hose inside the transom? It's a bravo drive, no water pump in it.

Oh, and the impeller new last fall, but I'll replace it anyway since it ran dry for a few minutes at idle- although it's pretty lubed from the antifreeze that was in there.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you reverse the hoses when you replaced the impeller? Had a friend do this and the pump would not prime or draw even with the boat in water.

Quick Reply: Can't get hose water to come up through bravo drive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.