Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Hydraulic Steering - Single Ram - HelpAny (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/155966-hydraulic-steering-single-ram-helpany.html)

Noise Pollution 04-14-2007 10:33 PM

Hydraulic Steering - Single Ram - HelpAny

New system just installed. I think I still have air in the system. When I turn the wheel the level rases and lowers about 1 1/2". I get 2 turns from lock to lock when turning the wheel to the right. When I turn it to the left I get 3 turns. With the motor off the wheel is also easier to turn to the left. I centered the drive and tried to push both directions but doesn't move. I did try cracking the fittings on the cylinder and got some air out. The oil also had some foam but seemed to settle out after sitting for a while. I went lock to lock with the motor running and with it off to bleed the air.
Any ideas?? Help

HighPriority 04-15-2007 04:48 AM

It often takes a while to get all the air out. Just keep turing lock to lock and you will get it.

rdoactive 04-15-2007 08:26 AM

First off, a single ram will be unballanced. The volume on one side of the ram is different from the other. So you will have different number of turns one way vs. the other.
Because of this, it will be a little easier in one direction.
As for air, keep turning the wheel, engine running, and it will eventually bleed out.

Dave M 04-15-2007 09:58 AM

I have a single ram full system. Any time I've had to "open" the system I didn't have any problems with getting the air out. Just a few turns of the wheel and the air is out.

Noise Pollution 04-15-2007 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by rdoactive (Post 2093758)
First off, a single ram will be unballanced. The volume on one side of the ram is different from the other. So you will have different number of turns one way vs. the other.
Because of this, it will be a little easier in one direction.
As for air, keep turning the wheel, engine running, and it will eventually bleed out.

I know the unbalanced is because of the rod on the one side. Takes less oil. The easier in one direction was with the motor off. With it running its the same both directions.
Do you think it would be a full turn in the difference?

Noise Pollution 04-15-2007 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dave M (Post 2093862)
I have a single ram full system. Any time I've had to "open" the system I didn't have any problems with getting the air out. Just a few turns of the wheel and the air is out.

Dave
How much of a defference do you have in the turns from lock to lock?

Dave M 04-15-2007 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Noise Pollution (Post 2093923)
Dave
How much of a defference do you have in the turns from lock to lock?

I'll have to count next time I fire her up. One side note, I have the 120cc helm which is usually used for a twin ram system. I think that reduces the number of turns.

MOP 04-15-2007 09:11 PM

Most systems require you to turn the wheel quite a few turns in one direction to force the oil/air past the check valves back to the resivour then repeat the process in the other direction. It is easy to have a bubble on one side of the piston if not done properly, the full turn is a little odd. Are you sure the ram is at half travel when the drive is centered, I have found instruction measurements to be wrong. I make it a practice of marking the rams center of travel with the drive blocked center before marking and drilling holes.

Noise Pollution 04-15-2007 09:17 PM

Mop
I installed just like you. I marked the half point on the ram with the drive centered. Then marked holes for drilling.

Thanks to everyone for help. When the rain stops I'll go out and play with it again.

boatn70 04-16-2007 06:53 AM

i will be installing steering real soon! how long is this project taking you guys. barring any issues like this thread addresses.
thanks, sorry to step in....just learning again.

b70