Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Reasonable Rebuild? >

Reasonable Rebuild?

Notices

Reasonable Rebuild?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Zeiger internal kit from Trick as my boat already had external hydraulic. The hardest part was getting the old stuff out. Working at the back of the engine underneath the stock steering is a pain in the a$$!! I had a local hydraulic shop assemble the hoses for me. They charged me $30 and had it done in under an hour. I consider that money well spent. I'd say we spent about 6 - 8 hours total wrench and bleed time. It was not difficult at all if you have any mechanical skills. My wife helped me out. I made her do all the stuff in tight spaces where I didn't fit! Just be patient and take your time. As long as you keep your cool and don't worry about getting it done as quickly as possible, it should go smoothly.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think i can get away with not going hydraulic until next summer? I wonder how much horsepower the steering of a stock Bravo 1 can handle if i dont go WOT that often.

Walt
Old 05-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think you should be getting more than 550 hp. Also make sure he's done marine engines before. The clearances are looser than a car engine. Make sure he checks your "new" heads. I had a set of World product heads ruin an engine because they didn't machine the guides for retainer clearance.