Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   gaffrig water temp guage like 70 degrees off? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/161002-gaffrig-water-temp-guage-like-70-degrees-off.html)

98itrwhite 06-15-2007 11:02 AM

gaffrig water temp guage like 70 degrees off?

i have been chasing this problom for almost a year, and i cant figure it out. the guage will read 220f when the engine is warm, but i have checked the enigne with other gauges and a raytec gun and the motor is between 135f-140f so i know the motor is not overheating. i have replaced the guage, sending unit, the sending wire, cleaned grounds and the guage still reads about 70 degrees higher than the engine really is? anyone have any ideas?

98itrwhite 06-22-2007 08:31 AM

anyone have any ideas? this is driving me nuts.

Wally 06-22-2007 08:44 AM

are you using any kind of thread sealant on the sending unit? it may be interfering with the grounding of it....

98itrwhite 06-22-2007 08:49 AM

yes i do have white permatex on the sending unit. very well could be the problom. i will have to go home to do a little testing tonight. any other posabiltys?

BenPerfected 06-22-2007 09:15 AM

Any chance the sending unit and the gauge are not compatable?

98itrwhite 06-22-2007 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by BenPerfected (Post 2172846)
Any chance the sending unit and the gauge are not compatable?

both guage and sender are right from gaffrig

stevesxm 06-22-2007 10:06 AM

the sealant/ bad ground is the answer. that was good thinking wally.

Wobble 06-22-2007 10:21 AM

take the sender out and extend the signal wire and ground to battery so that you can put it in some heated water of a known temp. If the gauge reads correct then you most likely do have a grounding issue.

On the other hand I have bought a gaffrig oil temp gauge and sender that were not compatible. (read high)

Wobble 06-22-2007 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 98itrwhite (Post 2172815)
yes i do have white permatex on the sending unit. very well could be the problom. i will have to go home to do a little testing tonight. any other posabiltys?

use a multimeter to test for a good ground from the sender body to the block, should be zero resistance. This is a good idea any time you change any sender btw, regardless of what thread sealant you use.

98itrwhite 06-22-2007 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 2172930)
take the sender out and extend the signal wire and ground to battery so that you can put it in some heated water of a known temp. If the gauge reads correct then you most likely do have a grounding issue.

On the other hand I have bought a gaffrig oil temp gauge and sender that were not compatible. (read high)

the guage at one time read correctly. then i sent my engine out for a rebuild and dyno tune and ever since i got it back from the engine builder it has read 70degrees hotter than norm.