Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Procharger, oil pressure and water temp????? >

Procharger, oil pressure and water temp?????

Notices

Procharger, oil pressure and water temp?????

Old 07-16-2007, 03:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
One more thing, 7.4 mpi and not 7.4 mag? Cast internals on the mpi, be careful, any detonation and it will be over.
Yeah... the 7.4 MPI thing is a lesson I learned after I bought the boat. It will haunt me till the day I blow it up. I am relatively kind to the engine by nature, but I have no faith in cast internals having built several engines in my younger days.

I'm not sure I know why escessive blow by wold give me higher oil pressure readings... School me on this one...

It sounds like I am on the way to installing a mechanical fuel pressure guage, I think Dana Marine is gonna take care of me on this one.

I would like an oil temp guage, but to be quite honest I'm out of room for more guages on my dash unless I put it somewhere stupid. Ill just have to work around it I think.

I plan to remove the stock oil lines and run an aftermarket remote filter setup and possibly oil thermo. The way the stock lines hang off the side of the engine with the filter up in the air is pretty lame anyway.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:20 AM
Registered

Update and Questions..

I know the Procharger is a hot topic for debate on this forum.... I bought mine for $1800 nearly complete. I figured that was about the price of a set of heads and would give me alot more bang for the buck. I installed it myself and followed the info on the forums as I went.

Bottom line.... the boat purrs like a kitten.

I have gone up one prop size and have gained roughly 15 mph at cruising and possibly more on top end as I am toying with the rev limiter but I'm not willing to continue pushing with the cast internals. I think I will yank it and change the roatating assembly and add some heads this winter.

I can honestly say that I am very happy with the results this far.

I like the fact that it performs much like a turbo...I am into the boost side of things very little, but it is there when I want it.

I should say that it is a little difficult to get out of the hole as it runs very rich (ecu in cold mode still) but runs great once on plane.

I am considering the ecu reprogram but have to say every dealing I have had with ASM has left a bad taste in my mouth..... Any suggestions in that area?

Also... I still have very high oil pressure.... I spent a week in havasu in July with the oil cooler completely bypassed and 30w oil in the engine. It never got hot, and a infrared thermo reads the oil filter at 130 Deg. I think thats too cold... Any further thoughts on this one?

I appreciate your input.....
Old 08-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Precision Marine can do your ecm and clear up your idle problems. Young's Performance might be able to do it also. There is no way your oil is only getting to 130* at Havasu. You definitely have something strange going on. I think Procarger sells a "line conditioner" that bypasses the cold startup mode your experiencing at idle due to cold water temps.
Good luck and keep reading, you'll learn something new everyday on these boards.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Registered

Thanks Kennyo... I remember reading about the "line conditioner" long ago, and forgot about it.... I like that idea alot.

I don't know what to say about the oil thing.... I'm still working on that whole deal....

Where is Precision Marine located, and what do you think it might run for the recalibratioin?
Old 02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Registered

Have you pictures for install?
Can you my send ?
[email protected]
Thanks Lars
Old 02-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Registered

You absolutely need to do a reprogram of the ECU. I ran mine for a couple of weeks without that and got a nasty black transom and probably some washdown of the cylinder walls. My oil also stunk to high heaven when I changed it. I am glad I did not wait. It is not a huge deal and you don't need to go through ASM. I would imagine that Eddie Young can help you out with that.

I would also recomment the oil thermostat. I went two seasons without one. It did not kill the engine at all but Eddie found some nastiness when he tore my engine down.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Registered

And here are a couple of pics of the milkshake nastiness Eddie found when he took mine apart.
Attached Thumbnails Procharger, oil pressure and water temp?????-540-procharger-001-large-.jpg   Procharger, oil pressure and water temp?????-540-procharger-004-large-.jpg  
Old 02-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Registered

That's what mine looked like also. That sh*t is hard to get clean. I blew a head gasket into the Intake. Never saw that before. Of course everytime I f*ck something up no ones ever seen it before!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:16 AM
Registered

Default Now thats a familiar sight!

The good news- I got a smoking deal on a 454 MAG long block and will be installing a MAG mpi intake with the PC.

The bad news- (lucky though) I pulled the 7.4mpi out just to do some rigging before the install and it looked just like the above picture. I found no damage, and no apparent blown gaskets.....??????.

I will try to post the progress on the istall if I don't go entirely broke first.

Anybody looking for a good running 7.4 mpi longblock with intake and new head gaskets?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by trawfish
The good news- I got a smoking deal on a 454 MAG long block and will be installing a MAG mpi intake with the PC.

The bad news- (lucky though) I pulled the 7.4mpi out just to do some rigging before the install and it looked just like the above picture. I found no damage, and no apparent blown gaskets.....??????.

I will try to post the progress on the istall if I don't go entirely broke first.

Anybody looking for a good running 7.4 mpi longblock with intake and new head gaskets?
Oil temperture should go over the boiling point of water (212f) to boil off the water.
I have run the canton remote oil stats that open at 215.
What did you say your oil temp is at?

Quick Reply: Procharger, oil pressure and water temp?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.