454 Bravo 1 engine overheats on first run only then works fine >

454 Bravo 1 engine overheats on first run only then works fine

Notices

454 Bravo 1 engine overheats on first run only then works fine

Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a thought, since the boat has sat for many yrs unused, might take a look at the impellor. If it is indeed that old, replace it now before it goes out.

What was the drive plugged up with?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
not certain why people are so willing to believe that multi billion dollar companies with hundreds of REAL engineers that actually know what they are doing and turn out a trillion thermostats a year for the last hundred years might not have NOTICED that they have been making them wrong all this time... but i suppose thats just me being naive enough to think they might actually know what they are doing.
But Steve, how much of that R&D was done on USED motors that surely have a little corrosion, perhaps a little blockage, something that's just a little different than how it was originally designed?
I don't think anyone would argue that every t-stat needs a vent hole. For me at least, if my 100% original Mercruiser engine needs a hole in the tstat to vent air on startup, that's a heck of a lot easier than rebuilding an otherwise well-running motor.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Registered

youre kidding , right ? there are about a trillion cars and boats running around. only a small handful are new or even recent. do you really really believe that mercruiser , a SPECTACULAR design and engineering concern whose stock in trade is sell this product would put a tstat in a motor that didn't belong there ? or put one in that DIDN'T have a vent hole if if needed one ?

no... this is more of the same old "trick" stuff that wanna be mechanics who can't solve a problem correctly resort to to support their " witch doctor" approach. some DEEP dark secret that only THEY know to make you believe that somehow they are possesed of some mystical insight that no mortal can possibly understand.

most of it is nonsense... just likethis drilling holes in the tstat bull. it indicates a complete lack of fundemental understanding of how the system was designed and how it actually is supposed to function.

it is very very very simple. the system worked when it was new and it worked perfectly as designed. if it has a problem now FIX THE *)(**)**^ PROBLEM !!!! don't throw some stupid myth shade tree crutch at it...

when i say that 50 % of the problems posted on this forum are completely self inflicted... this is what i am talking about.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Registered

Where do you get off blasting people for having a different insight & approach than you do? You keep spewing billions and trillions of units in service like that means a hill of beans. If these things were so damn perfect for their entire life we wouldn't need this forum. And you b!tch about people lacking a fundamental understanding...WTF? Who p!ssed on your food today?
THINGS CHANGE...what works in the original design doesn't always apply for the life of the product. That's why we're here...to get other people's experience and suggestions as to how to fix a problem. Some fixes are a band aid until the bigger issue can get resolved. I'd put duct tape on it if that would get me by until I could save the money to do it right
If you don't have anything to contribute, why blast somebody else's ideas?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Registered

Old 09-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It could be the Tstat, but it could also be an impeller blade that came off is getting stuck in the flow somewhere.

The big question I have is, when was the last time you inspected the raw water pump? When the engine overheats, do you notice any change in the water flow exiting the exhaust?

I would really check the pump impeller first... 2nd is a new T-stat, both are cheap parts to replace, and are considered regular maintenance items anyway.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The likely problems are an old impeller or the thermostat as stated above.
As for the 1/8" vent holes:
Merc designed the housing with a small notch to vent the air. Some times the wrong gasket gets installed because we buy aftermarket stuff or the notch gets plugged with rust.
If the notch gets covered, blocked with rust, or what ever, the 1/8" hole works great.
Steve, I've read a lot of you posts and you are a knowledgeable guy. Please do relax though, duct tape, wire ties, and shot guns work just great for some of us...
Old 09-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would question how good the engineering is at Mercruiser.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Ike
Charter Member#93
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevesxm
youre kidding , right ? there are about a trillion cars and boats running around. only a small handful are new or even recent. do you really really believe that mercruiser , a SPECTACULAR design and engineering concern whose stock in trade is sell this product would put a tstat in a motor that didn't belong there ? or put one in that DIDN'T have a vent hole if if needed one ?

no... this is more of the same old "trick" stuff that wanna be mechanics who can't solve a problem correctly resort to to support their " witch doctor" approach. some DEEP dark secret that only THEY know to make you believe that somehow they are possesed of some mystical insight that no mortal can possibly understand.

most of it is nonsense... just likethis drilling holes in the tstat bull. it indicates a complete lack of fundemental understanding of how the system was designed and how it actually is supposed to function.

it is very very very simple. the system worked when it was new and it worked perfectly as designed. if it has a problem now FIX THE *)(**)**^ PROBLEM !!!! don't throw some stupid myth shade tree crutch at it...

when i say that 50 % of the problems posted on this forum are completely self inflicted... this is what i am talking about.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve ,
We all don't live in "Sint Maartin" like you and have a 365 day boating season. I , for one want to go boating on my days off , not sit in the driveway working on the boat. As for drilling the holes , IT WORKS. I got all winter to figure out whats wrong

Quick Reply: 454 Bravo 1 engine overheats on first run only then works fine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.