Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   2000, 502 mag minor upgrades (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/169057-2000-502-mag-minor-upgrades.html)

266ltd 09-18-2007 10:27 PM

2000, 502 mag minor upgrades

Right now I have a 2000, 32 fountain fever, 230hrs. What would everyone recomend? Want to keep as much stock as possible, but would like to get a few more ponies! I am thinking headers and ecm tweeks! Any other ideas? it looks to me that the lightning headers are the way to go, due to cost. CMI seems way to expensive for HEADERS! keith-eckerts to due ecm possibly? AZ speed is way to expensive pushing a grand to set them up. Any help and ideas would be great, also no blowers i did that 2 my last boat and even with it set up right i was always paranoid!

US1 Fountain 09-18-2007 10:55 PM

Better check your hatch clearance before you spend the money only to find your hatch won't close.
A friend has a 2000 32' with HP500EFI's. His hatch has a large insert to clear the CMI headers.
I have SM exhaust and no problems. About same height as stock exhaust.

Young Performance 09-18-2007 11:02 PM

Your not going to get much if any out of ECM mods. The only benefit would be to up the rev limiter and turn it harder. CMI headers are well worth the money. I have not had any good luck from Lightnings. On the other hand, I have used well over 100 sets of CMI's and have had no problems. You can find a few Hp by working with the intake. The only real way to find any measurable hp gains is to either supercharge or do internal modifications. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the truth. Hope this helps.

266ltd 09-18-2007 11:06 PM

if i dont gain much in ponies at least i can get rid of the weight. I know u cant do much with the ecm's but i can clean them up a touch. what headers should i use from cmi on a stock 502 and want to keep same exahust outlet, and fit under the hatch. us1 how much did you gain w/ stainless marine?

Griff 09-18-2007 11:30 PM

Unless you are planning future upgrades for more HP, then the $$$ for the speed gain are not worth it IMO. Exhaust and ECM recals will run you 8k for maybe a 2mph gain on the top end.

Pat McPherson 09-19-2007 07:36 AM

Changing out the stock cast iron exhaust is always a great place to start. I run Stainless Marine on my 502MagMPI.
A good HP exhaust manifold system will give you better mid range power and 100-200rpm extra on top. Headers like CMI E-tops will not gain you much more than a set of Stainless Marines.
You do not need to recal the ECM with just an exhaust change. Maybe up the fuel press a little if you go with headers.
Long tube headers with a cam change could give you another 100HP.

captnjak 09-19-2007 07:58 AM

My 2 cents worth

I was seriously considering a set of Lightnings this past spring. After much research and question asking I went with Danas instead. GREAT performance and no worries about cracking. I have a 454 "Mystery Motor." One of its previous owners had it re-done by an independent shop so I have no idea what's in it. What I DO know is that after installing the Danas, an RPM intake and re-jetting the stock 750 Weber she outran a Raylar 496 in an identical hull this past summer. Well worth the investment, IMHO. I'm happy!

stevesxm 09-19-2007 08:34 AM

listen to griff... he's right. when we went thru all this on this forum some time ago, it was noted by many ( accurately) that the amount of hp gain nec to increase your top speeds significantly...i.e 4 or 5 mph on a big boat is something not less than 100 hp per motor. on mine ( same motors as yours but a 38 gun) was going to something like 125 hp/motor...

if the motor has the stock iron manifolds, those are worth getting rid of. leave the injection alone and listen to griff.

youll be far better off

Griff 09-19-2007 12:04 PM

If you really want to do an exhaust upgrade, check out Revolution Marine. Great bang for the buck.

US1 Fountain 09-19-2007 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 266ltd (Post 2276841)
us1 how much did you gain w/ stainless marine?

Other than the weight savings and not having to worry about the risor gasket leaking and dumping water in the motor....... natta, zero, zilch.....no speed gains, which I expected.