Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lightning Headers >

Lightning Headers

Notices

Lightning Headers

Old 11-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep I did..read my last line of my post..and edit reason..
Old 11-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below the water line is "at rest in the water", not on plane. Yes, water will run out when running, (only a 3/8" hose, one drain per engine) but not enough to cause any problems. You want the drain under water to keep the headers from draing (running dry) when you restart your engines. This has worked for several years in our boats and we never had any header problems. We certainly never had to mess with petcocks to drain our headers either.... on twins, that would be rather hard on the inboard side of v-bottoms, cats maybe the outsides would be more difficult with some.....
but why bother when it's not necessary??
Old 11-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, the drain thru hull must be below the header drain water log which will naturally put it below the water at rest usually.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered

I purchased a boat with a 496 mag ho with freshwater lightning headers. used the boat two seasons in salt water and the headers are now shot. Sprung two leaks in the outer pipe. I new it would happen eventually but only two summers worth of boating? DAMN. Boat is trailered and was flushed out after every use. Theres no way im spending $3600 on a set of all stainless headers from lightning. Gonna go with Dana marines for $1000 less.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Oh MY God - an outbreak of "Cold Cabin Fever" Its really setting in early this year! We're gonna need a lot of vaccinations this year to keep this outbreak under control!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Registered

im sure some raylar headers could ease the pain.....
Old 11-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by longtravel
I purchased a boat with a 496 mag ho with freshwater lightning headers. used the boat two seasons in salt water and the headers are now shot. Sprung two leaks in the outer pipe. I new it would happen eventually but only two summers worth of boating? DAMN. Boat is trailered and was flushed out after every use. Theres no way im spending $3600 on a set of all stainless headers from lightning. Gonna go with Dana marines for $1000 less.
you cant expect steel tubing to last from salt water use ....flush or not ...where and how long had they been used when you got the boat? I'm not slamming the Dana's at all ......m
Old 11-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
you cant expect steel tubing to last from salt water use ....flush or not ...where and how long had they been used when you got the boat? I'm not slamming the Dana's at all ......m
The headers that went bad on me are the lightning headers. Im most likely going to be replaceing them with the dana marine headers only becasuse they are about $1000 cheaper. Im not sure how old the headers are. They were only run in fresh water till i got the boat. Ive put 60 hours on them in salt water. Im not knocking the lightning headers, I think they look and sound awsome. I just cant afford to spend $3600 on all stainless lightning headers. I hope the Dana marine headers sound just as good. Plus with the Dana's i can fit quick n quiet diverters if I decide to do it later on.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

The Lightning headers on my 1998 Velocity are original and I have just thoroughly inspected them and they are like new still, freshwater only though. If your looking for power it's hard to beat Lightning for the money.