Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Normal speeds (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/181883-normal-speeds.html)

mittens 03-11-2008 10:18 AM

Normal speeds

If you have a boat running GPS speeds right at 70mph.

How often on a river do you think people will be able to beat you?

I know most boats stay around 50. but what about the average sport boat that has a little more motor?

BY U BOY 03-11-2008 10:34 AM

Depends on the RIVER:D

ENFORCER24 03-11-2008 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 2480082)
Depends on the RIVER:D

no doubt , at 65 on the Potomac river i get passed almost every weekend , hopefuly this year i will make it a little harder for em to do , building bigger power

at 70 miles an hour your faster then most under 80k production boats , but few "go fast guys" are ever happy with stock power , a blower or procharger is the kick that puts those people out front , and convincing me to spend more bucks :(

Brad Zastrow 03-11-2008 11:13 AM

We boat on the Chain-O-Lakes in Illinois which is home to a lot of fast boats. I have a deck boat that run 33 mph and at that speed 80% of the family boats do not pass me cruising. 70mph will probably be an average speed of a sport boat So very few boats will be going by you. It takes 100 mph to be sure that only a handful of boats will be going around you.

Chris Sunkin 03-11-2008 12:29 PM

Unless you're Ken Warby, someone else is always going to be faster.

pookie 03-11-2008 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow (Post 2480157)
We boat on the Chain-O-Lakes in Illinois which is home to a lot of fast boats. I have a deck boat that run 33 mph and at that speed 80% of the family boats do not pass me cruising. 70mph will probably be an average speed of a sport boat So very few boats will be going by you. It takes 100 mph to be sure that only a handful of boats will be going around you.

Is there enough room on the Chain to enjoy a 47' Fountain?

mittens 03-11-2008 01:05 PM

Great responses.

FYI
I boat on the tennessee river. Mostly between guntersville dam, and Decatur. sometimes go up to guntersville, and have taken trips to chatanooga, and to pickwick. so that the normal areas. most people will race out od the dam and back. so i feel a ture 70mpg boat will run with the best of them, and I will have no worries aobut it breaking becasue ita a bone stick 454 mag. but if i did by a whipple 454 boat i think no one could touch it up here. (runs 82)

kennyo 03-11-2008 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by pontiac (Post 2480345)
Great responses.

FYI
I boat on the tennessee river. Mostly between guntersville dam, and Decatur. sometimes go up to guntersville, and have taken trips to chatanooga, and to pickwick. so that the normal areas. most people will race out od the dam and back. so i feel a ture 70mpg boat will run with the best of them, and I will have no worries aobut it breaking becasue ita a bone stick 454 mag. but if i did by a whipple 454 boat i think no one could touch it up here. (runs 82)

Someone will always "touch" it!

scarabfun 03-11-2008 05:18 PM

been on the the chain my whole life, lots of fun. i'd run a 47' if i had the $.. i have a 30' scarab run about 75-76mph. funny though, i sure pass alot of guy's that say they do 80+.

pachanga 03-11-2008 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by pontiac (Post 2480345)
Great responses.

FYI

Close enough for me to bring my Pachanga this summer! Don't freak when ya see a blue streak go by! :D