Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil? >

Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil?

Notices

Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07DominatorSS - That would be great if you could either send to me or post the techinical info on both the race and marine oils. I phoned Amsoil's Tech line and they were of no help at all!!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Riverracer
07DominatorSS - That would be great if you could either send to me or post the techinical info on both the race and marine oils. I phoned Amsoil's Tech line and they were of no help at all!!
Bob Teague uses the 20w-50 Racing oil. Here is link to some good reading for you to compare oil companies. Now this link is about gearlubes, but it kinda tells you how good companies make their products. It is very good reading, please take a moment and read it. Royal Purple does not fair all too well!

http://www.amsoil.com/products/gearl...hitePaper.aspx

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tro.aspx (Racing Oil) Which is what I use also.
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1213.pdf

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx (Marine 15w-40 Diesel Oil)
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g473.pdf

Yeah, the tech line can sometimes be that way, I've experienced the same thing.

I also use these products....
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2044.pdf
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1281.pdf

Hopefully all this helps

Last edited by 07DominatorSS; 03-19-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was hoping that there might be a popular oil that all the professional racers all use?

If it only were that simple.

Oil is a bigger point of contention than the Chevy/Ford argument that's been going on since, well, as long as Chevy and Ford have been around.

There's no such thing as "best". There's often times "different" and the oil manufacturers will go to great lengths to tell you why their version of "different" should be important to you. In reality, all of the top shelf oils are going to do the same things for you. If there really was such a thing as "best", that oil company would provide quantitative proof of such fact and all the others would be out of business. They wouldn't need to pay some NASCAR driver bushels full of $$ to tell you that their oil was better.

As far as anti-corrosion- there's simply no magic there, or in any oil. Oil prevents corrosion by film barrier. If the oil clings to a part, air can't get to it. Hence, no rust. Marine oils have no element to them that makes them any "stickier". Water is the ultimate solvent- it permeates every material known to man- some obviously take longer than others but nothing stops water. If you coated your parts in grease, then dumped water into the cylinders, I doubt you'd have been any better off.

I would think that a properly designed Synthetic Marine oil woud be superior to an automotive synthetic race oil??
The thing is, the oil doesn't know it's in a boat. If a marine oil had some beneficial attribute, it would be just as beneficial to a NASCAR, offroad, endurance-roadracing and any other performance engine.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 03-20-2008 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Registered

Great information! This answers questions that I have been asking for 3 years now. Thanks for the info!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
If it only were that simple.

Oil is a bigger point of contention than the Chevy/Ford argument that's been going on since, well, as long as Chevy and Ford have been around.

There's no such thing as "best". There's often times "different" and the oil manufacturers will go to great lengths to tell you why their version of "different" should be important to you. In reality, all of the top shelf oils are going to do the same things for you. If there really was such a thing as "best", that oil company would provide quantitative proof of such fact and all the others would be out of business. They wouldn't need to pay some NASCAR driver bushels full of $$ to tell you that their oil was better.

As far as anti-corrosion- there's simply no magic there, or in any oil. Oil prevents corrosion by film barrier. If the oil clings to a part, air can't get to it. Hence, no rust. Marine oils have no element to them that makes them any "stickier". Water is the ultimate solvent- it permeates every material known to man- some obviously take longer than others but nothing stops water. If you coated your parts in grease, then dumped water into the cyliners, I doubt you'd have been any better off.

The thing is, the oil doesn't know it's in a boat. If a marine oil had some beneficial attribute, it would be just as beneficial to a NASCAR, offroad, endurance-roadracing and any other performance engine.
You are right in some aspects, however, there are oils that do have more rust and corrosion inhibitors built into them than others. Therefore, some oils are better than others, and by saying "all top shelf oils are going to do the same for you" is pretty much ignorant. All oils are different, different protection ratings, heat resistance, cold pour points, waxes and parrifins, shear stability, oxidation resistance and on and on and on.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Registered

Most marine oils have more additives to prevent rust, and that is not just "extra oil"- its a true rust preventative additive. The NMMA came out with a new oil spec labeled FC-W and one of the goals of this spec was to set a standard for anti-corrosion. A number of brands now market oil meeting this spec, including Amsoils 10w-30 Marine 4 stroke oil. I have not really looked into this product as it appears to be more directed at 4 stroke outboards, but it also says it can be used in inboard engines as well.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
You are right in some aspects, however, there are oils that do have more rust and corrosion inhibitors built into them than others. Therefore, some oils are better than others, and by saying "all top shelf oils are going to do the same for you" is pretty much ignorant. All oils are different, different protection ratings, heat resistance, cold pour points, waxes and parrifins, shear stability, oxidation resistance and on and on and on.
In the interest of full-disclosure, you are an Amsoil dealer, correct? And the "data" you offer was from studies conducted by Amsoil? There's nothing wrong with that, as long as it's honest and up front.

As far as splitting hairs, I assumed we were speaking about synthetic high-performane oils of equivalent service ratings. Tech posts are useless when they're unreadable. Continuous provisos and redundancies on topics make them so.

As far as my "ignorance", I'd advise you to watch your tone with me. You have know idea of the range of my knowledge and experience in these areas, nor that of any of our other members. Unlike most internet windbag forums, this one is regularly visited by people who created and molded this sport and by many that continue to do so. Can you imagine logging on to a NASCAR forum and exchanging posts with some of their top crew chiefs and engine builders? You can do that here (for the record, I'm not one of those guys- been around a bit though). You should take the advice offered to you in the other oil thread. We value respect around here. Especially from new people.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
In the interest of full-disclosure, you are an Amsoil dealer, correct? And the "data" you offer was from studies conducted by Amsoil? There's nothing wrong with that, as long as it's honest and up front.

As far as splitting hairs, I assumed we were speaking about synthetic high-performane oils of equivalent service ratings. Tech posts are useless when they're unreadable. Continuous provisos and redundancies on topics make them so.

As far as my "ignorance", I'd advise you to watch your tone with me. You have know idea of the range of my knowledge and experience in these areas, nor that of any of our other members. Unlike most internet windbag forums, this one is regularly visited by people who created and molded this sport and by many that continue to do so. Can you imagine logging on to a NASCAR forum and exchanging posts with some of their top crew chiefs and engine builders? You can do that here (for the record, I'm not one of those guys- been around a bit though). You should take the advice offered to you in the other oil thread. We value respect around here. Especially from new people.
No, actually, that info is from an independent study. If were to read it, you would see Amsoil is not the best in every category, but overall they are.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:48 AM

No, actually, that info is from an independent study. If were to read it, you would see Amsoil is not the best in every category, but overall they are.
I did read it. I've read many "white papers" and have written a few as well. White papers aren't science, they're advertisements that look like science. Calling them a study does not further validate them.

Putting notarized affidavits on the tail end of studies doesn't make them unimpeachable, especially when paid for by a singular participant. I deal with ANSI verification programs performed by NRTL's and I see all sorts of pressure brought to bear by the larger companies to fare well. I've seen first-hand where results were influenced if not downright bought. I've also seen first-hand where estabilished National Consensus Standards were interpreted very loosely.

I'm not suggesting wrongdoing on anyone's part. I'm suggesting that studies like these need a contextual frame of reference. What you offer there is not a "study". It's an ad. It lacks completely any explanation of methodology. It also fails to clearly identify the testing entity and its relationships to the companies whose products are being tested.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Bob Teague uses AMSOIL 20w-50 Racing Oil and the AMSOIL Marine Gear Lube 75w/80w-90. You will not find an oil out that will outperform any AMSOIL product. If you need tech sheets on some of the products, let me know. I can fax them to you. AMSOIL motor oils also have an offseason protection package built into them, therefore, helping to prevent that issue you had.
Not too long ago, Bob Teague explicitly discouraged the use of synthetic oils in marine engines. Since picking up Amsoil as a sponsor, he now promotes the use of synthetic oil (Amsoil, of course) in marine engines. To his credit, he has for years promoted the use of Amsoil gear lubes in his drives and all Bravo drives for that matter.

I've used both Mobil 1 and Amsoil products in my boats for 10 years with excellent results.

Is your Dad the big Michigan Amsoil dealer I see pictured in the Amsoil newsletter all the time? Does he own the Amsoil 288 Sunsation? If so, I have met him at the Sunsation Rally a couple of different times.

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 03-20-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.