Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Naturally Aspirated Power!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/184860-naturally-aspirated-power.html)

fast22 04-18-2008 03:40 PM

Naturally Aspirated Power!!

Ok, My motor started life as a fuel injected 502mag, it is now a 509" with a side mount whipple(5lbs boost) and some mild head work. It makes 630hp @5200.
The side mount whipple computer is starting to get some age on it and has been phased out. My question is, would it be possible with aftermarket heads and maybe taking it to a 540" that I could keep my fuel injection and still make at least the 630hp(maybemore:cool-smiley-027:) without a supercharger?

Scott

t500hps 04-18-2008 07:00 PM

Try Speedwake and ask "Noise Pollution" about that.....He did that exact build last winter and re-built it carb'ed this winter because of all the problems. (came close in power but not quite)

obsessed1 04-18-2008 07:06 PM

It has been done before. Im pretty sure the lower intake plentum is going to need some major work to get it there. Do a search on forums, oso member ARTIC FRIENDS made like 650 or so with a custom monoblade throttle body N.A. before he bolted on his blower. Why not go carb?

Smitty 04-18-2008 07:09 PM

I am doing something similar to what you are doing and I am projecting to make well over 800 hp. It can be done, just need to open up the wallet wide !!!

Smitty 04-18-2008 07:09 PM

I also have 2 Whipple computers for sale really cheap.

jryan26 04-18-2008 07:17 PM

If you get to the point of purchasing the 540 kit, you may want to try www.dyno-flo.com. They gave me the best price on forged eagle stuff.

fast22 04-18-2008 07:29 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, I feel I've got one more summer left on my setup then I'm gonna build something new:cool-smiley-027:. Obsessed, not really against going carb I just kinda like the ease of fuel injection, as a matter of fact a buddy of mine with the same boat, is in the process of building a carbed 540 and thinks 650hp should be easy.
I guess if its built and tuned right a carb should be just as user freindly, I don't know a whole lot about carbs so thats kinda why I was shying from them. Sounds like ditching the efi is the way to go.
Scott

obsessed1 04-18-2008 07:39 PM

Scott,
Its all a matter of preferance in my opinion. I had the same motor as you in my boat, no super charger. When it was time to upgrade I was all over the place on what to do. I ended up swapping over to carb mainly for tuning and $ reasons. I didnt want to be at the mercy of others to get things done(programming ecu), and uprading the fuel system and intake porting was big $, in my eyes. Good luck!!!

CB-BLR 04-18-2008 08:00 PM

For Dyno numbers on a naturally aspirated 540 with all accessories see the thread titled "Thanyou RM Builder"

Chris

fast22 04-18-2008 08:28 PM

Obsessed you are right on with being dependant on other people. I think I'm gonna start trying to put something together after the Emerald Coast poker run. The blower surge is killer around the dock, when the wind is blowing and I've got to go in and out of gear alot is when it gets nasty. Thanks for all the suggestions