Mobil 1 V-twin Still Available? >

Mobil 1 V-twin Still Available?

Notices

Mobil 1 V-twin Still Available?

Old 05-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
I don't know where you buy Redline at, but where I'm from it is typically $12-$15/qt. If you can get it at that price, that is a great deal. Redline is a pretty good product, not saying its not. I just know its expensive here, and tough to find. I just prefer the company of AMSOIL, and their products. By the way, your math is a little off, $78.15 divided by 10 is $7.815, which would round up to $7.82/qt.
Not sure where you buy your cases but mine come 12 qts to a case. My math is pretty good

www.bsrproducts.com no secret handshake needed, anyone who buys 10 cases gets that price. They also have a 5 case price as well. Since I use both their gear oil, 20w-50 for the boat, 5w-30 in the wife's truck and 5w-20 in my truck I'm able to hit that 10 case need pretty quick.
I haven't purchased from the site, I always call and speak to someone so I'm not sure if case pricing shows up.

Last edited by mr_velocity; 05-06-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Not sure where you buy your cases but mine come 12 qts to a case. My math is pretty good

www.bsrproducts.com no secret handshake needed, anyone who buys 10 cases gets that price. They also have a 5 case price as well. Since I use both their gear oil, 20w-50 for the boat, 5w-30 in the wife's truck and 5w-20 in my truck I'm able to hit that 10 case need pretty quick.
I haven't purchased from the site, I always call and speak to someone so I'm not sure if case pricing shows up.
Well the way you wrote it, it sounded like a 10qt case. Anyways, I just went on that website and saw no special deal for 10 cases or even just a case. And, by the way, that is a lot of oil. I wouldn't need that much AMSOIL for about 4 years. Seems like you still have to change the oil very often using the Redline. I just do oil analysis with the AMSOIL on my trucks, car, and boat.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

i've always used Amsoil in past in my 7.4 LX. Now i have Hawk 525's. Previous owner used a Valvoline 20w-50.
Should go w/:
Amsoil SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Premium Protection Motor Oil (ARO)
or
SAE 10W-40 Formula 4-Stroke Marine Synthetic Motor Oil (WCF)?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by BDiggity
i've always used Amsoil in past in my 7.4 LX. Now i have Hawk 525's. Previous owner used a Valvoline 20w-50.
Should go w/:
Amsoil SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Premium Protection Motor Oil (ARO)
or
SAE 10W-40 Formula 4-Stroke Marine Synthetic Motor Oil (WCF)?
I believe the 4-stroke is for outboards..

Go with a 40wt or 20W-50

Valvoline VR1 and their new 20W-50 synthetic racing look real good!

If it has the words "energy conserving" in the "donut" on the label that reads "energy conserving" along with "SM" it is extremely in zddp.

Amsoil 20W-50 and 20W-50 racing are excellent as is Amsoil's 15W-40.

If it is labeled.."marine" "diesel" " offroad" "do not use with catalytic converters" "racing" ect.. at least the ZDDP levels will likely be good.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-06-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I believe the 4-stroke is for outboards..

Go with a 40wt or 20W-50

Valvoline VR1 and their new 20W-50 synthetic racing look real good!

If it has the words "energy conserving" in the "donut" on the label that reads "energy conserving" along with "SM" it is extremely in zddp.

Amsoil 20W-50 and 20W-50 racing are excellent as is Amsoil's 15W-40.

If it is labeled.."marine" "diesel" " offroad" "do not use with catalytic converters" "racing" ect.. at least the ZDDP levels will likely be good.
I would use the AMSOIL 20w-50 TRO, this one.......................
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tro.aspx
however, that WCF 10w-40 would work very well also, not strictly for outboards. A four stroke is a four stroke.

Last edited by 07DominatorSS; 05-06-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Registered

What is an acceptable amouint of ZDDP? What exactly does it do? Please help educate someone that is not up on the oil lingo. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
What is an acceptable amouint of ZDDP? What exactly does it do? Please help educate someone that is not up on the oil lingo. Thanks.
RH, here you go,
ZDDP-zinc dialkyl dithiophospate or zinc diaryl dithiophospate,
widely used as an anti-wear additive in engine oils to protect heavily loaded parts, particularly the valve train mechanisms, ie camshaft and followers, from excessive wear. ZDDP is also an effective oxidation inhibitor. Oils that use ZDDP should be use in engines that use silver alloy bearings.

ZDDP is a reserve boundry lubricant, if/when engine parts "break thru" the fluid flim of the oil, ZDDP protects the parts from contact and causing wear. Because of this effect ZDDP is a consumable additive, the longer you keep the oil in service, the lower amounts of ZDDP you have to do the job.
One of the many reasons you change oil is to replenish the ZDDP levels.

What is an acceptable level? I honestly couldn't tell you. I would think to a point, more is better. The auto industry is on the high side of approx 1000 PPM, (this will be lowered in the future). Motorcycle lubes are typically higher than PCMO's, (passenger car motor oils) 1220-1800 PPM. Will 2000 PPM offer more protection than 1000 PPM, maybe after 10,000 miles of use, but there are only a handful of people that change at 10,000 miles. Don't forget, the higher levels of ZDDP also helps the oil get to 10,000 miles with out too much oxidation, good synthetic base stocks also help.

Hope this helps,
Ken
Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Well the way you wrote it, it sounded like a 10qt case. Anyways, I just went on that website and saw no special deal for 10 cases or even just a case. And, by the way, that is a lot of oil. I wouldn't need that much AMSOIL for about 4 years. Seems like you still have to change the oil very often using the Redline. I just do oil analysis with the AMSOIL on my trucks, car, and boat.

Yea I can see the confusion "10 case discount of Redline from BSR comes in at $6.51 a qt ($78.15 a case)"

Oil in the boat is changed every 25 hours, 1 case each motor so I'll go through 4 - 6 cases a year there.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Yea I can see the confusion "10 case discount of Redline from BSR comes in at $6.51 a qt ($78.15 a case)"

Oil in the boat is changed every 25 hours, 1 case each motor so I'll go through 4 - 6 cases a year there.
Wow, that is a lot of oil to go through. Not to question what you do or anything, but have you ever considered doing oil analysis on your boat, and or vehicles? I've been doing analysis on my stuff for years, and for example, I go at least 50000 miles, yes 50 thousand miles, between oil changes on my 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel. It saves me time, and money, along with giving an analysis of the oil, which in turn tells me if there is anything I should keep an eye on, such as maybe a head gasket, or whatnot.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

I thought I would post this article...quite interesting...A must read..

http://www.justbrits.com/Articles/oils.html

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-07-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 V-twin Still Available?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.