Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Need some help...here are the symptoms (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/190855-need-some-help-here-symptoms.html)

bruin_d 07-12-2008 11:02 AM

Need some help...here are the symptoms

Went to start the boat and the batteries were dead (thats never happened before) jumped it and fired it up. Idled OK for a few seconds then idle went up to around 1500 (from normal 800-1000). Boat has a MSD 6ALN box with a MSD distributor. Let it run for about 15 minutes and dropped the idle down to what it used to be. Then I revved it a couple times and the idle went back up to 1500ish. I am about pull the plugs and see what they look like. Last weekend we were out jumping swells in it so I am also thinking that maybe one of the weights in the distributor let go. Actually before I take a look at the plugs I will probably look at the distributor. Let me know if any of you guys have any other suggestions.

bruin_d 07-12-2008 03:08 PM

Thanks for all of the great help...

stevesxm 07-12-2008 05:06 PM

how about doing a few of the most basic things yourself first like disconnecting the cable and making sure the carb gets back to the stop and the 10 or so other things like that before you start looking for a remote diagnosis based on absolutely no provided hardware specifics...

not everyone is kreskin , ya know.

bruin_d 07-12-2008 05:40 PM

I fixed it, distributor was slowly turning while the motor was running. Did you ever think that maybe I already did the "basic things" first tough guy?

Chris Sunkin 07-12-2008 08:53 PM

Saturday at noon in mid-July and you feel the need to get snotty that the world isn't sitting on OSO waiting to offer tech info?

I don't think I'd take it personally... we do have lives- well, some of the others do.

ubet28 07-13-2008 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2621226)
Saturday at noon in mid-July and you feel the need to get snotty that the world isn't sitting on OSO waiting to offer tech info?

I don't think I'd take it personally... we do have lives- well, some of the others do.

well put.

stevesxm 07-13-2008 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by bruin_d (Post 2621115)
I fixed it, distributor was slowly turning while the motor was running. Did you ever think that maybe I already did the "basic things" first tough guy?

frankly, based on your question, it never occured to me that you might have done anything other than whine.

jhiguy377 07-14-2008 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2621226)

ditto