Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Help, click...click..click but no start >

Help, click...click..click but no start

Notices

Help, click...click..click but no start

Old 07-30-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping it isn't the starters on both motors. With twin big blocks in my boat you need to be the size of a small monkey to get down in there to change the starters
Old 07-31-2008, 10:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by duksrule
I am hoping it isn't the starters on both motors. With twin big blocks in my boat you need to be the size of a small monkey to get down in there to change the starters
Another thing to check would be the neutral safety switch. I speak from experience. One of my engines would click and it sounded like it was coming from the solinoid, it turned out to be a broken wire/connector at the connection point to my transmission. I'm assuming that you have a Bravo boat, so I'm not sure as to where the connection would be made. Just a suggestion.

Craig
Old 07-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

To test the solenoid without using the ignition key... Take a jumper wire and connect it to the the "powered" (use a test light) post on the slave solenoid and touch the other end of the jumper wire to the small post with the white wire with red stripe on the slave solenoid. If it clicks but doesn't crank it's bad. If it doesn't click check the small ground wire on the other small post to be sure it has a good ground.

If it clicks and doesn't start, take a screw driver and touch the two large posts together, this will bypass the solenoid and the engine should crank over. If it doesn't crank you have a bad starter, bad connection at the starter or bad solenoid on the starter itself.