water pressure W/imco shorty vs stock lower

Notices

water pressure W/imco shorty vs stock lower

Old 08-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default water pressure W/imco shorty vs stock lower

I'm adding a Imco 2" shorty to my single engine vee baja 272 next week but will have no time to test it before going to run long and hard at hot boat weekend at hardy dam. When going from a std pickup lower to a Imc-2 shorty what kind of water pressure increase have you guys typically seen? My boat will run just about 100 mph and I'm worried the water pressure will be off the scale high from other threads I faintly remember seeing a few yaers ago>. I currently have a water pressure gauge and I see between 15-20 psi in the high 90's. I do have a water relief valve that I bought a few years ago that is supposed to open softly after 14 psi if I remember correctly,I never installed it though because it hasn''t been needed yet.
If I do install it before going next week where should I tee it in? I'm running a crossover with no thermostat or circ pump,my raw water pump is a single stage kpm run dry if that makes a difference. I'm currently plumbed from otdrive to pump,thru fuel cooler,power steering cooler,oil cooler then to the engine,my innercooler is fed off water entering the engine at crossover. I was thinking thats where I want to tee in the relief valve but not 100% sure,Smitty
Old 08-26-2008, 02:08 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Pretty much everybody I know sees higher water pressure with Imco lowers.

Install the pressure relief valve somewhere after the oil cooler.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a 10 PSI increase over a stock XR housing.
The first time I tested one, it blew my water pump housing apart.
I would also recommend plumbing the pressure relief valve after the oil cooler to maximize oil cooling. My through hull fitting is positioned so it dumps on the upper drive housing, hopefully cooling it some too.
Regards,
Steve
Old 08-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I saw about a 15 psi increase. It was enough to blow water hose off. I have my intercooler T'ed off right after the water pump. Then reliief valve is right before it goes in the engine. Have had no problems since installing valve.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not plumb at the sea strainer? Many come with a .5 or .75 NPT fitting. This might be a better project to do after your vacation.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I saw a decrease in pressure. Wreaked havoc with the guardian system on my 600sci. Trying to avoid an external pickup so have a few more tweaks to try. The pickup on the IMCO is a slot on the bottom. If you need a lot of trim to run like I do, that slot dissappears from the leading edge as you add trim. I had to do holes on the top side of the bullet to keep the ram effect w/trim. It's not a 100% dialed in but getting close.

I think my case is the exception, not the rule (oh joy!) so hopefully you won't have my issues.
good luck.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Didn't see any difference between XR with a low water pick-up nose cone and the Imco.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Registered

15 PSI, increase on mine...Plumed a set of Merc units just before the crossover.
Attached Thumbnails water pressure W/imco shorty vs stock lower-happy.jpg  
Old 09-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had big time pressure issues with my 496 ho's after adding the IMCO's. the winterize dump valves can't hold back the pressure and it dumps into the bildge. also blew a hose a few years ago. I think last time i checked I was getting like 43 psi on scan tool, which is way too much. Been experimenting with a relief valve, but that doesn't seem to be working.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Just reporting my results,I tee'd in a relief valve for last wknd but left the discharge hose just laying in boat for now,I saw 14 psi at 95 mph,relief valve never opened so I doubt I need one now. With the 2" shorty I can't carry the bow enough with merc labbed 4 blades and the prop blowsout at high speed without warning so I'm going to install my 1" spacer next then maybe some other kind of prop. THe boat no longer lifts out of the water though at the stern AND bow at high speed so it helped there. I'm going to have boat hung on a sling to find the center pivot point front to rear because I think it needs some rear weight added to help keep the bow up when decelerating with only 2 passengers,it bow steers awful now,Smitty

Quick Reply: water pressure W/imco shorty vs stock lower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.