Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   School me on Hydraulic Helms (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/194281-school-me-hydraulic-helms.html)

littledcsrodshop 08-30-2008 12:32 AM

School me on Hydraulic Helms

Ok I need some serious schooling on hydraulic helms... Please forgive my ignorance on this subject but I am no hydraulics dude...

I have a few questions..

I will be running a Single XR with the ITS transom assy.
What size helm will I need ?? How many CC's ??

My boat has a nice Marine Machne helm in it now , however I am unsure of its size.. It was used with twin speedy 5's so I would expect the helm to be to big & move to much fluid for my single ITS rams right ??

I also have a Char-Lynn (eaton corp.) helm that I used with the ITS transoms in a Twin setup & not a Single application..
I have searched around a bit to find out some info on it & havn't had much success... The #'s on it are as follows :
M06030238
X291-1090-001

Can anybody give me some good info on this subject , such as what size I may need for my application ??
What size the Char-Lynn I have is ??
What happens if the helm used is two large in cc's ??

Am I correct in thinking that one to small would just not push enough fluid therfore not giving you full lock to lock steering ??

Can a helm used in a twin application be used in a single ?
How do the ITS cylnders compare in the volume they need as compaired to the Average external rams , such as Latham , Marine Machine , Zeigler , ect...ect.. & yes I understand that these companies have differant size cylinders...

Thanks in advance for any help that comes my way...

Payton 08-30-2008 06:22 AM

yes to the last question. it makes no dif to the helm if you are pushing a twin ram system on a single or a twin. 2 rams are 2 rams.
The different CCs will make a difference in # of turns to go lock to lock not if they go lock to lock.

sabercatt 08-30-2008 05:18 PM

well imco has a great list in their catalog. heres an example:

145cc displacement - 1 ram with .6225 rod and 8.25" stroke will take 1.51 turns lock to lock. 2 rams with .6225 rod and 8.25" stroke will take 3.03 turns lock to lock.

It doubles the turns required when you add the 2nd ram.

Rippem 08-30-2008 07:01 PM

remember that it's not just about "lock to lock" itself...

shorter lock to lock larger cc is faster acting

I like 125's myself

most OEM installs are 80cc helms that I've seen.

Speed H2O 08-30-2008 07:16 PM

Latham actually makes the helm that comes with the Mercury
ITS. I did a lot of reaserch on this about 3 moths ago.
That helm is very unique and designed specifically for the ITS. Different valves and other internals. Do not use anything other than the Latham helm that is labled ITS ONLY.

Rippem 08-30-2008 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Speed H2O (Post 2669868)
Latham actually makes the helm that comes with the Mercury
ITS.

make it or market it? Isn't it a Charlin helm?

2112 08-30-2008 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Elite Marine (Post 2669882)
I set up Love Machine with a complete Imco set up for his ITS drive. He is very happy with the result.

Let me know if I can help.

[email protected]

Kirk

Was it a dual pump application with a priority valve? If so which valve did you use. I ask as I am having issues:cool:

littledcsrodshop 08-31-2008 10:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the relpies so far ! Please keep them coming..

The helm that I was using for the twin ITS's was a Char Lynn
(not sure if it is the one that Latham sells or not?)
Here are all the #'s on it :
M06030238
X291-1090-001

It worked great on the setup , But how would it be affected by using it in a single application as opposed to a twin ??
& could it be done & ifso how would that work ??

I wish I had the #'s off my Marine Machine unit but it is still in the boat which is at my shop tightly wrapped up..
Here is a pic of the Char Lynn unit if it helps any..

littledcsrodshop 08-31-2008 09:41 PM

Anybody know anything about this particular Char Lynn helm ??