Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Teague Motors (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/194370-teague-motors.html)

RJBBC 09-01-2008 07:21 AM

Teague Motors

Brainstorming different options to repower our 2000 Checkmate Convincor 259. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the TCM 620? I pulled an article off the net from a google search on TCM motors. The article mentioned they build about 120 motors per year. The have a lot of R&D in the models that they sell. Would this be a more reliable route then going to a low volume marine engine builer? I am not sure what the 620 costs? I would assume there is a stout upcharge for the name. The package is sure dressed nice.

MegaByte*3 09-01-2008 12:56 PM

I don't have personal experience with the 620. My experience is with the 900 and 1200. However, one of the most important issues for me is warranty. Teague has the financial ability to back up his warranty - anywhere in the country. I have no doubt that the low volume engine builder does a great job putting stuff together. Very few have the resources that TCM has and even fewer do as much R&D as TCM does.

I am comfortable recommending TCM engines without hesitation or reservations.

T

Uncle Dave 09-01-2008 01:25 PM

Teague Custom marine is a first class outfit.

They have tremendous talent, resources, products, and respect on the West Coast. They walk the walk on their warranties and supply may of the West coast builders with their packages.

I have firsthand boating experience wit the following teague engines-

620- not my fav, felt a little weak, and I wasnt overly impressed, for the diff in money go to the 720.

720- incredible mid range and top end rush, felt very strong, made with superb parts and is rock solid (almost bough this instead of my ilmor 710)

800(whipple based & injected not carbed 871 version) -just awesome, oodles of power EVERYWHERE, cant break it , idles like a kitten roars like a beast - only 1 drawback- NOT freshwater cooled.

Dont be afraid of powering your rig with Teague products.

A step up in prestige & power would be TPI, but its a one man band putting out incredible show quality work.

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 - Ilmor 710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Fleetwood nitrous toy hauler
Yamaha raptor-700/Kawi-KFX 450
Nissan Titan
Uncle Dave is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

RICHARD CUNY 09-01-2008 03:31 PM

Teague 620

I have the 620 in my 24 Baja runs very strong Idles very well and they are very good people i believe there motor comes in about 30,000.00 or more.
Richard Cuny

RJBBC 09-01-2008 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by RICHARD CUNY (Post 2671008)
I have the 620 in my 24 Baja runs very strong Idles very well and they are very good people i believe there motor comes in about 30,000.00 or more.
Richard Cuny

What is your top speed? What prop are you running? 30K plus I am assuming is fully dressed with accessories. How many hours do you have on it? Would you do it again or go a different direction?

chromecat 09-01-2008 10:31 PM

Rob,

Don't forget that KE is coming into your backyard.

Don

SkiDoc 09-02-2008 05:27 AM

I've had great service from mine and all my questions are answered by Bob himself.

Knot 4 Me 09-02-2008 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by chromecat (Post 2671303)
Rob,

Don't forget that KE is coming into your backyard.

Don

I'm taking Rob over to Easton this Wednesday evening for a meeting with Mr. Eickert.

buttonhead40 09-02-2008 08:04 AM

I saw them at the Shootout, are they open now in Easton, they will be a huge resource here in the midwest.

Chris Sunkin 09-02-2008 08:13 AM

There are way too many well-known premium engine builders close to you. Why go cross country? And, in a midrange horsepower engine, there aren't any proprietary technologies. One is going to be built out of virtually identical parts as the other and assembled the same way.

Myself, I'd want a guy that can do the whole job. You can take the world's best engine and installed/rigged improperly is going to have issues. I also don't want to have warranty coverage excluded due to improper installation issues.

No knock on Teague- he builds good stuff. But for me, I see value in dealing with a guy who can supervise the whole job and see any issue I might have first-hand. Even if it's an day- long tow. It's better than removing and crating up an engine and freighting it to California.

Now, if you have a competemt HP rigger you're using, that's a different story. But they usually have relationships with good builders.

You've got Wesco by you, Gellner is a short drive to Cleveland and Eddie Young isn't much further. Teague is good, but he can't do anything better than any of these guys.