Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   holly pro jection (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/19459-holly-pro-jection.html)

glassdave 03-05-2002 11:44 AM

holly pro jection

i just picked up a holly 2 barrel pro-jection throttle body fuel injection system. any body had any expierance with this system. got a good deal an was thinking of putting it on the small block in my mirage.:cool:

Kleptow 03-05-2002 10:02 PM

Had one on a S10 p'um-up with a 400 SB, I was ready to through the %&*&* in the trash until a guy at the local super shop clued me into a air fuel meter set-up this took the guess work out of tuning the thing seeing's how that 400 mouse motor was two diffrent animals hot and cold.

Tinkerer 03-05-2002 11:13 PM

The two barrel version may be good for only 250 hp since the 4 barrel version was only good for 500 hp - I had one and I loved it untill the hp went over 500. It is a low pressure system so increasing the fuel pressure won't get you much more flow.

fstboater 03-05-2002 11:14 PM

It is ok at best it will never work as good as a set up Qjet wont hold a candle to a 4corner idle hp carb.Sell it quick it will idle very rich on a stock eng.:mad:

26scarab 03-05-2002 11:34 PM

I had one on a Chevy P/U , 383 , dart heads, cam,headers.
Well, it was very inconsistant.
I wouldn't waste the time to put it on.

Kleptow 03-06-2002 01:02 AM

I am sadden to see these types of responces to your inquiry on a outstanding product. My only question to these responces would be, what if any kind of metering was being used? what I mean by that is all fuel injections system have some type of metering on them or they would fall flat on there faces that is why Holleys newer units incorporated fuel metering in there systems. The metering is easy to set-up I welded o2 sensor's in to my headers at the collectors, picked up a couple of Chrysler 3 wire 02 sensor's the third wire is for per-heat that way you get accurate readings at start-up. Purchased a pair of air/fuel gauges from Summit racing installed in my dash that gave me the ablity to tune the thing on the fly, If you follow this set-up you will not be disapointed. Belive me if all car manufactures felt the same, we would not have fuel injection on almost every vehicles made today.

Don't sweat the pety things.............Pet the sweaty things!!!!!!!!

glassdave 03-07-2002 05:46 PM

hmmmmmm . . . .pretty good info . . . actually i got the thing for nuthin . . friend of mine got it a wrecked truck he parted out. i havnt messed with it yet an was just think'n out loud. . . kleptow i will use your suggestion , that makes sense. . . i have had experience with fuel injection (put a TPI small block in my 70 camaro) an had great luck. just havnt delt with any TBI systems

tinkerboater was that a boat you had yours on? i am only shooting for the 250 to 275 hp range in my river boat. its just for putt'n round the downtown riverfront area :D :cool:

thanks all

Mr Gadgets 03-07-2002 06:33 PM

Dave,
A friend of mine played with the projection setup. I believe he added an O2 kit to the unit so it could do it's own closed loop feedback. Not sure how it worked out for him, but you might call Holley and see what is available for that unit. Cant hurt to try.. My truck is getting close to being on the road.. cant wait to get the laptop fired up and tune that 406" SBC.. It sounds awsome just driving around the yard.. I'll keep you posted..

Good luck with your project.

Dick

Tinkerer 03-07-2002 09:02 PM

Yes I had it in a 18 " boat with a SBF. It worked great but you had to play with it a lot. You have complete control of the fuel even at idle- it didnt run rich unless you wanted it to. I also had the O2 senser. It acts like a 4 barrel carb but infinatly adjustable from the driver seat. GREAT throttle responce. Had to sell it when the SB ford wen't over 500 HP.

jbrauer 03-07-2002 09:25 PM

I put one on a small block in my boat several years ago. unfortunately the boat was hit and totaled by another boater in less than a month. I then took the Pro-Jection and put it on the 30 V* in my Jeep and it ran great. The only problem was it is very, very rich at idle. The newer units are closed loop with an O2 sensor that should solve that problem. I've alos been told by Holley that I can adjust the injectors on mine , but I never tried.

Give the Holley Tech Line a call and they'll help you figure out if it's right and if you can update it to current standards.

:)