Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Dilemma: Blew up whipple 454- rebuild it or replace for family to use the boat >

Dilemma: Blew up whipple 454- rebuild it or replace for family to use the boat

Notices

Dilemma: Blew up whipple 454- rebuild it or replace for family to use the boat

Old 09-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma: Blew up whipple 454- rebuild it or replace for family to use the boat

Well my '96 Gen VI 454 magnum finally died a horrible death- sounds like it's full of rocks and coolant is bubbling out of the oil dipstick.

Problem- I'm Navy and moving to Hawaii for 30 months while the boat stays with my parents for storage/safe keeping.

Pop wants to be able to use the boat while I'm gone and is willing to spend a little money to do so just to get on the water-

If I was staying with the boat- my ideal solution would be to tear motor apart, and plan on a 502 build up with AFR heads and cam it accordingly for the whipple EFI blower.

Since I'm not with the boat, my family doesn't want to tear into the motor (no garage at the house, nor the time, etc) But he's willing to do a motor swap out. So the other option is to find a low hour 454/502 magnum EFI motor and drop that in. In which case I can bolt on my blower when I get back.

Or find a low hour 496HO and drop that in, run it for a few years, and I can build up my engine and swap it back when the time comes.

Or maybe a 500EFI? Maybe a GM ZZ502 motor?

Random Facts: I already have closed loop cooling and Dana marine exhaust.

What would you do?

Last edited by zimm17; 09-08-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Registered

i would not consider what you have as having any usable or serviceable parts. in effect, a throw away except for your blower hardware. i would buy a nice low hour 502 mag mpi complete take out for about 5 grand and slide it in place.

and then, as you suggest , deal with the blower when you get back.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zimm17
Well my '96 Gen VI 454 magnum finally died a horrible death- sounds like it's full of rocks and coolant is bubbling out of the oil dipstick.

Problem- I'm Navy and moving to Hawaii for 30 months while the boat stays with my parents for storage/safe keeping.

Pop wants to be able to use the boat while I'm gone and is willing to spend a little money to do so just to get on the water-

If I was staying with the boat- my ideal solution would be to tear motor apart, and plan on a 502 build up with AFR heads and cam it accordingly for the whipple EFI blower.

Since I'm not with the boat, my family doesn't want to tear into the motor (no garage at the house, nor the time, etc) But he's willing to do a motor swap out. So the other option is to find a low hour 454/502 magnum EFI motor and drop that in. In which case I can bolt on my blower when I get back.

Or find a low hour 496HO and drop that in, run it for a few years, and I can build up my engine and swap it back when the time comes.

What would you do?
HRPA member( Emmit ) OSO member( NotBoyToyz ) had some 496's PM him.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Call Dave at MDG, he has a couple take outs that he is redoing and can make it ready for your return...just saw one on the dyno this weekend, with no name alum heads he was at 535 hp and 561 tq....410-956-5381
Old 09-10-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by zimm17

What would you do?
We have a 2000 454MAG MPI upgraded by Tyler Crockett Marine (new valve train, cam, exhaust) with 275 total hours. The engine has 60 hours since the upgrade. The engine has a dyno sheet from Crockett Marine producing 461HP @ 5100RPMs and 514lbs/tq @ 3800RPMs. The engine runs strong. We are selling it and buying a larger motor for our boat. Let me know if this would be of interest. I have not posted for sell yet on OSO. This weekend I am going to take some pictures of the engine complete out of the boat and place an add.