Whipple 496 HO >

Whipple 496 HO

Notices

Whipple 496 HO

Old 09-13-2008, 03:14 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A buddy of mine ordered a Whipple kit on his brand new 496 in a new 26 Outlaw. The motor ran the first season running way too rich, producing more soot than performance. A recalled ECU improved matters. The right settup, is what the dealer said.

At 90 hours the motor lost power big time. A massive hole burnt through between two adjacent cylinders. Head, block and piston damage. End of 496.
He´s now running a 600SCi/ITS Sportmaster .....and making a table for his office out of the 496.

Darrells right, 496 is a fine motor in stock form. Best kept that way, or build a complete new motor.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alfons ,

You have some very good advice in these posts ,Raylar in standard 496 ,Or go up to a bigger motor with the internals to handle a blower .
Old 09-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do The Raylar With All The Good Part's I Think The 600hp Kit Include's Everything . Then Add The Whipple
Old 09-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Registered

Default one step further

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09
A buddy of mine ordered a Whipple kit on his brand new 496 in a new 26 Outlaw. The motor ran the first season running way too rich, producing more soot than performance. A recalled ECU improved matters. The right settup, is what the dealer said.

At 90 hours the motor lost power big time. A massive hole burnt through between two adjacent cylinders. Head, block and piston damage. End of 496.
He´s now running a 600SCi/ITS Sportmaster .....and making a table for his office out of the 496.

Darrells right, 496 is a fine motor in stock form. Best kept that way, or build a complete new motor.
Did he run an entire season with to rich mixture ?? No wonder the engine went fishing. ABC right amount of fuel/air are realy important , I wouldnt dream of puttin any load on the engine without havin ch
ecked the mixture. Widebandsensor and check the lambda readings so that i know the mixture is right !
Old 09-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Registered

I installed the kit on my 496 a few years ago. Everything went together real well. I was impressed with the quality parts and the thorough instructions as well as the support I got from whipple. I've got 50 hours on this now and virtually no problems. The computer program had a "hot start" issue. I shipped the computer back to Dustin and they reprogramed it with the fix and then made a custom callibration for the altitude I boat at and shipped it back without charge. Can't complain about that! I don't get our very often and my primary purpose was to make up for the altitude on the lakes here in Colorado and this met my goals.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:17 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did he run an entire season with to rich mixture ?? No wonder the engine went fishing. ABC right amount of fuel/air are realy important , I wouldnt dream of puttin any load on the engine without havin ch
ecked the mixture. Widebandsensor and check the lambda readings so that i know the mixture is right ![/QUOTE]

The dealer, who did the whole installation, running it in the boat with lambda readouts, and had said to him that the settup was on the defensive side with a 14:1 Air/fuel ratio, If I remember right. somewhere in the rpm curve it was clearly running way rich.

The motor died of a hot spot which indicated too lean a mixture, and that occured some five hours after the ECU recall.

Like Raylar, I believe that Whipple does a fine job and makes good equipment, but if something on the installation is a little off the specs, even they cannot help there.

However putting a blower on a motor that GM builds for Mercury cost effectively to deliver 425 reliable horsepower and draw 600 horses out of those same components.....is going to have its price. Or does Merc overspec their stock motors for the benefit of the aftermarket guys. Very generous!