Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Trailer brake questions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/195449-trailer-brake-questions.html)

JasonSmith 09-15-2008 09:43 PM

Trailer brake questions

The drum hubs Heritage put/puts on their trailers are kinda bastards in the brake world. For just a few bucks more I can upgrade to disc brakes. My question is do I put the discs on all 3 axles or just two?

poolshrk 09-15-2008 09:50 PM

all 3

jayhawk261 09-15-2008 09:50 PM

On a 29' boat, I would probably put brakes on 2 axles. I doubt if 3 is really necessary. My 24 footer has brakes on 1 axle and stops like a dream.

The other upgrade that you've probably read about is the electric/hydraulic conversion. WELL worth whatever the cost is to do it while you are changing out the brakes. It makes it stop like its own vehicle and doesn't feel like it ever puts any braking load on the truck. If you're not familiar with it, do a search in the trailer forum. Best thing ever for a trailer!

fossil fuel 09-15-2008 10:02 PM

2 is enough, 3 if you want but I think it is not warrented. I think some states require all 3......

Chris Sunkin 09-16-2008 05:52 AM

Yes, more and more states are requiring each axle to have brakes.

Having said that, most states have speed limits that are routinely ignored by millions of motorists each day too. I wouldn't do it in fear of getting a ticket, I'd do it for the cheap peace-of-mind and the better performance.

scottc 09-16-2008 06:19 AM

In Maryland, brakes are required on all trailers over 3001lbs, on at least one axle. Over 10001lbs, brakes on all axles is the requirement.

For your needs, 2 axle is all that is needed. And go with the EOH system. BrakeRite has a great system. Make sure you get the proper setup for disc brakes. They use a higher pressure than drum systems.

BDiggity 09-16-2008 06:52 AM

Just buy a Myco Jason. I dont want sub-par equipment behind me when i am towing it to the keys next year.

:party-smiley-004:

mcollinstn 09-16-2008 07:46 AM

If you are in a state that allows it, I would leave the brakes OFF of the rearmost axle. I've had a trailer "come around me" once due to the brakes locking up on a steep, wet, slick downhill road. Was a narrow road and a car pulled out in front of me and panicked. Truck was chattering on the ABS and the trailer started coming around. I was on the horn and motioning the car to come on out and get out of the way. I tried to let off the brakes to let the trailer straighten up but there wasn't enough room. We all stopped ok, but the trailer was jack knifed. If there had been a set of wheels with no brakes, we'd have stopped straight.

This is about the only circumstance that doesn't give the advantage to brakes on all axles. If you don't plan on being on a slick downhill with people pulling out on you, then brakes on all 3 is fine.

kennyo 09-16-2008 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mcollinstn (Post 2687163)
If you are in a state that allows it, I would leave the brakes OFF of the rearmost axle. I've had a trailer "come around me" once due to the brakes locking up on a steep, wet, slick downhill road. Was a narrow road and a car pulled out in front of me and panicked. Truck was chattering on the ABS and the trailer started coming around. I was on the horn and motioning the car to come on out and get out of the way. I tried to let off the brakes to let the trailer straighten up but there wasn't enough room. We all stopped ok, but the trailer was jack knifed. If there had been a set of wheels with no brakes, we'd have stopped straight.

This is about the only circumstance that doesn't give the advantage to brakes on all axles. If you don't plan on being on a slick downhill with people pulling out on you, then brakes on all 3 is fine.

I never thought of that...... Good to have your advice again!

fossil fuel 09-16-2008 09:24 AM

Exellent point !!