x-dim - Improper Lingo? >

x-dim - Improper Lingo?

Notices

x-dim - Improper Lingo?

Old 09-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raising or lowering the engine a couple of inches in the boat should not change handling AT ALL. Moving the engine forward or backward can have a huge impact on handling.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by bcarpman
Didn't mean to turn this into a discusion of my project. Was only using it as an example of the confusion I was seeing in posts.

I've already added a 2in shorty and picked up 5mph. Propshaft is still 6.25 inches below the hull. Engine also sits WAYYYY low in the hull. Got about 6-8 inches between the aircleaner and the hatch. In fact the engine sits so low that my tailpipes are almost underwater off plane.

Figure I can probably raise the engine a couple inches and still end up lower than the engine height in most boats this size. Would like to find a used extension box, but that also requires raising the engine.

IMO, not worth the $$$ invested at all. You may not gain another mph and might have to spacer it back down. 6.25 is deep, but not extreme. Plenty of straight V's run that deep. Being deep gives leverage and bow lift.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Griff
IMO, not worth the $$$ invested at all. You may not gain another mph and might have to spacer it back down. 6.25 is deep, but not extreme. Plenty of straight V's run that deep. Being deep gives leverage and bow lift.
Thanks. Saw a couple of threads on smaller V hulls like mine where people were talking 2.5in or 3.5in, with 2.5 being too shallow. I haven't seen anywhere where anyone went up from over 6 inches and regreted it. Although, I think I am going to leave it where it is this year. First I've got some bottom work to do this fall, including removal of some wedges, and minor straightening. We'll see what that does for me, then look into rasing the drive with an extension box next winter.

One thing to remember is that I consider this boat to be one big experiment. I'm trying to learn all I can and experiment as much as possible (and do all the work myself). Yeah, I've put a lot of effort into a $20K boat, but hopefully I'll learn enough not to ruin a $200K boat in the future. Yeah, I've made a couple mistakes, and spent a lot of my time, but slowely but surely this boat is inching up on "fast" territory and I'll come out a lot more educated.