Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   More hp out of a 500hp (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/199833-more-hp-out-500hp.html)

formula 382 sr-1 04-27-2009 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry (Post 2853552)
Thanks, I give Bob a call.
Dean

Bob is great to work with, If you planing to order a cam from him have some time to spend on the phone (45 min or so )he will have alot of questions for you. (ie boat,motor size,intake,carb,heads,RPM,) I hope this helps!!!!! :drink:

Joby

jeffswav 04-27-2009 05:21 PM

I just used Bob for my roller setup. He is a true expert on engine building. A far cry from the so called tech guys. I got it running this weekend but have not had it on the water yet.

Dean Ferry 04-28-2009 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1 (Post 2853627)
Bob is great to work with, If you planing to order a cam from him have some time to spend on the phone (45 min or so )he will have alot of questions for you. (ie boat,motor size,intake,carb,heads,RPM,) I hope this helps!!!!! :drink:

Joby

J,
I haven't called Bob yet, but I plan on trying to reuse as much as possible all of the HP500 componenets as I can. I will run a different cam if it will work with all my other HP500 stuff. I will run different exhaust and have some head/porting work done, but I'd like to keep the compression ratio stock so I can run 87 octane. Does anyone have an idea on how much additional HP can be gained from the stock HP500 Rect. port iron heads?
Thanks,
Dean

Dean Ferry 04-29-2009 10:08 AM

TTT, looking for some input?
thanks,
Dean

DareDevil 04-29-2009 10:21 AM

Dart intake and 850 holley !!!!

Or whipple the bad boy !!!!

Both prooven !!:ernaehrung004:

Young Performance 04-29-2009 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ubet28 (Post 2754847)
What kind of power did you see? I already have a the cam. I am gonna get some heads just not sure of what yet. The OSO community seems to go with AFR.Does any one run Brodix heads. Should i change stock pistons and carb or leave it alone?

I run Brodix heads quite a bit and love them. I also use Dart Pro 1's and love them to. Pretty much all of the heads on the market today are good and I really don't think you will see a big difference in power between any of them. The problem you will have is not being able to raise the compression enough to take advantage of the heads. The whole purpose of going to aluminum heads is so that you can raise the compression. In order to get the compression up, you need to deck the block. The pistons in a stock 502 are about .020 below the deck. I would not deck the block a whole lot now, because if you go to a 540 you will need some of the deck height.
You can deck the heads and get the combustion chambers down in size as much as possible now and then later when you go to a 540, you can just run a thicker head gasket if you need to lower the compression. It all depends on what combo you use for the 540 in the future. Give me a shout if I can help in any way.
Eddie

Dean Ferry 04-29-2009 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2855269)
I run Brodix heads quite a bit and love them. I also use Dart Pro 1's and love them to. Pretty much all of the heads on the market today are good and I really don't think you will see a big difference in power between any of them. The problem you will have is not being able to raise the compression enough to take advantage of the heads. The whole purpose of going to aluminum heads is so that you can raise the compression. In order to get the compression up, you need to deck the block. The pistons in a stock 502 are about .020 below the deck. I would not deck the block a whole lot now, because if you go to a 540 you will need some of the deck height.
You can deck the heads and get the combustion chambers down in size as much as possible now and then later when you go to a 540, you can just run a thicker head gasket if you need to lower the compression. It all depends on what combo you use for the 540 in the future. Give me a shout if I can help in any way.
Eddie

Eddie,
Great talking with you today. Thanks for all the insight, I just wish you were closer to FL!:cool:
Dean

Dean Ferry 05-01-2009 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by daredevil (Post 2855246)
Dart intake and 850 holley !!!!

Or whipple the bad boy !!!!

Both prooven !!:ernaehrung004:

Thanks, for the advice, but I want to stay away from any blower upgrade. Too many Manatee zones to idle thru!:mad:
Dean

ubet28 05-10-2009 05:19 PM

Well its been a long winter but the shop called Friday and was ready to to dyno my motor. I had this thing completely gone over cleaned and magna.

I ended up going with 741 cam and Brodix BB2+ heads with a blower shop 250 blower. when i went down to the shop my camera battery was dead so i will put some pictures of the motor this week. I did take a picture of my dyno sheet so i will post that.

Let me know what you guys think and i could use some advice on a prop size.

The boat is 25 outlaw 1998. Thanks to everyone that helped out with advice.

http://i41.tinypic.com/20889d5.jpg

Dean Ferry 12-08-2009 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by ubet28 (Post 2863018)
Well its been a long winter but the shop called Friday and was ready to to dyno my motor. I had this thing completely gone over cleaned and magna.

I ended up going with 741 cam and Brodix BB2+ heads with a blower shop 250 blower. when i went down to the shop my camera battery was dead so i will put some pictures of the motor this week. I did take a picture of my dyno sheet so i will post that.

Let me know what you guys think and i could use some advice on a prop size.

The boat is 25 outlaw 1998. Thanks to everyone that helped out with advice.

http://i41.tinypic.com/20889d5.jpg

Nice numbers, love to see the pics of the motor also.

Who did you end up going with?
Thanks,
Dean