k plane installation tips? >

k plane installation tips?

Notices

k plane installation tips?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k plane installation tips?

I am getting ready to take off the bennetts from my formula 271 and put on new k planes. Question is:

I know that manufacturers and most people have traditionally installed them parallel to the bottom of the boat about 1/4" to 1/2" above the leading edge and even with the outermost chine.

Recently, there have been some guys (including reggie fountain) installing the tabs completely horizontal as it is supposed to better control chine walk and ??

Last, I have heard some people "splitting the difference" and putting them on an angle in between completely horizontal and parallel with the bottom of the boat.

This setup is a single engine, 850-900 hp which is also a new addition and has not been run before. I am sure I will have chine walk towards the upper end, just don't know how bad and at what speed.

Any advice from someone whos been here before is greatly appreciated.

Sam
Old 02-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When they are mounted horizontal, they will have a more progressive action. The first part to touch down will be only the outside corners. When parallel with the bottom, the entire end otf the tab will contact the water at the same time. I like the fact that you can really fine tune the tab when in the horizontal mounting position.

Darrell.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darrell,

Do you recall if the horizontal mounting changes how far out you mount the tabs. also, how far above the leading edge do you mount the outmost edge of the tab?