Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   electric fuel pump power source (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/204883-electric-fuel-pump-power-source.html)

alecsammy 03-14-2009 04:04 PM

electric fuel pump power source

Hello All
I'm installing a electric fuel and reading some posts according to one they said not to use the positive side of the coil for the pump source. Does anyone have this set-up or what is the proper set-up. Thanks

GPM 03-14-2009 05:08 PM

You might want to use a relay for more amps to the pump and less draw on the ignition.

alecsammy 03-14-2009 07:42 PM

power wire

Does that mean to use the positive wire from the coil to drive the coil on the relay terminal 85 or 86 and use a seperate power source to drive the pump. Thanks

Hot Stepper 03-14-2009 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by alecsammy (Post 2821337)
Does that mean to use the positive wire from the coil to drive the coil on the relay terminal 85 or 86 and use a seperate power source to drive the pump. Thanks

If you know what terminals 85 & 86 are then I don't think you'll need much more help, all you have to do is figure out what to do with 30 87 & 87a :drink:

GPM 03-14-2009 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by alecsammy (Post 2821337)

Use a seperate heavier wire from the battery switch or the large terminal on the starter for the power, use a good ground, then trigger from the ignition wire. I don't remember all of the numbers, use the diagram on the back of the relay. Make sure your wires and relay are sized right to carry the amps you are going to run.

GSELITE2000 03-14-2009 09:08 PM

Alecsammy, the answer is YES and NO!!

You run the hot off the coil to 86. You run a 10 Gauge wire from a heavy battery source to 30 (such as the starter post that someone else suggested...I prefer directly from the battery post). You run 85 to ground.

You take a 10 guage wire from 87 to the pump. If you have two 87s, then attached a 12 guage to each one, and Y them together into a 10 guage and continue to the pump (or you could run a 10 from each one and Y to a single 10).

By using the hot side of the coil, you will not need a separate kill switch for the fuel pump. Your current kill switch will kill the power to the coil, which will kill the "switch" (86) in your relay.

If you are racing in sanctioned races, you may have to have a separate kill for the pump.

Scott

GSELITE2000 03-16-2009 02:01 PM

Correction/correction/correction

You can do everything in my previous post except DO NOT use 87A.

Just run a 10 gauge off of 87 to the pump.

This thing can be wired so many ways to Sunday, half the time you can make up your own way.

Scott