Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   full or half cooling system better? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/205666-full-half-cooling-system-better.html)

chris-jack 03-27-2009 02:36 AM

full or half cooling system better?

do you use full cooling systems (including the headers) or half system (engine block without exhaust)?

i heard that the full system i installed will let my 454 mag engines get to warm. i have a seakamp heat exchanger which cools block and exhaust manifolds.

thanks for answers and help

chris

Ghostrider 03-27-2009 02:46 AM

Only Ski boats with exposed engines should ever run an uncooled exhaust, even then they'll usually inject water directly into the headers. No boat with an enclosed engine should go without water cooled exhaust manigfolds and risers at the least.

You may find some exhaust that are 'Dry' as in, although still water cooled, the water never mixes with the exhaust, it's just plumbed through a jacket around the exhaust. Most you will find though have water cooled manifolds which the water is plumbed to, then on to the risers (or elbows) then the water enters the exhaust at the end of the risers and out the back she goes. Do not run a boat without water cooled exhaust if the engine is enclosed EVER. Bad Ju-Ju if you do!

If your current setup does cool the exhaust, but you are looking for more power, simply consider upgrading the exhaust to a higher flowing manifold / riser combo.

Good luck!

chris-jack 03-27-2009 03:05 AM

thanks ghostrider, but i am not talking about uncooled exhaust. at the full system the exhaust manifolds are cooled with fresh water, only the risers are cooled by raw water. at the half system the complete exhaust is cooled by raw water.

the thing is, if the manifolds are connected to the inner circle of cooling than it could happen, that the cooling water gets hotter and hotter. if the exhaust is cooled by sea water, the water runs through the heat exchangers and leaves the engines through the exh. manifolds and risers.

chris

Ghostrider 03-27-2009 07:33 AM

Ah okay, that makes sense. Scared me for a minute there!
I see what you mean though, but I'd worry about running raw water over my exhaust without pre heating it through the engine. Would that cause problems? I run raw water throughout so I don't know about the half closed system. Man, there is so many differences in terminology here. So you mean the closed cooling system with the exhaust only cooled by raw (open) cooling right? So does the water get warm enough running just through the heat exchanger? I suppose it should, being called the 'Heat' exchanger and all!

That would make sense but I'd worry about too cool sea water hitting the exhaust.

Just my 2cents. Sorry for the confusion!

chris-jack 03-28-2009 02:36 AM

i do not think that the water could be to cool, even to hot. at the closed half system raw water runs through the heat exchanger and leaves the boat through the exhaust manifolds and the risers. at the closed full system the water goes through the heat exchanger and leaves just through the risers. i do not know if it is a problem that in this case the coolant circulates through the engine, the exhaust manifolds and the heat exchanger. the manifolds could make the coolant to hot. in case of the half system the inner circle does not pass the manifold and this makes a huge difference.

chris

offthefront 03-28-2009 04:43 AM

I think its just a preference thing or how much salt water you run in .... the half system might be simpler ....

CB-BLR 03-28-2009 09:28 AM

Merc close loops the engine, and raw water cools the exhaust. I think you would need a much larger heat exchanger to cool the exhaust manifolds.

My 600sci has no problem heating up the motor with antifreeze running through the block and raw water running thru the headers and innercooler.

Chris

Mr. Cool 04-01-2009 08:28 AM

Chris-Jack:

SeaKamp is a competitor of ours but builds a fine product. You shouldn't have any problems with a full system unless your heat exchanger wasn't sized for the full system or you've pumped the hp an insane amount.

Tell me the hp your running, OD and length of the heat exchanger and I can give you an idea as to whether you're at risk.

chris-jack 04-01-2009 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cool (Post 2833790)
Chris-Jack:

SeaKamp is a competitor of ours but builds a fine product. You shouldn't have any problems with a full system unless your heat exchanger wasn't sized for the full ??? system or you've pumped the hp an insane amount.

Tell me the hp your running, OD and length of the heat exchanger and I can give you an idea as to whether you're at risk.

mr cool!
the exchanger is sold for use as a full system. it has a diameter of 5" and a lenght of 22". in the middle it is 2" higher.
i am running 454 mags with 365 hp.

thanx

chris

offthefront 04-01-2009 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cool (Post 2833790)
Chris-Jack:

SeaKamp is a competitor of ours but builds a fine product. You shouldn't have any problems with a full system unless your heat exchanger wasn't sized for the full system or you've pumped the hp an insane amount.

Mr Cool ... how bout some more information on your product ? .....