How American Car Makers Lost Their Nusinesses >

How American Car Makers Lost Their Nusinesses

Notices

How American Car Makers Lost Their Nusinesses

Old 04-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Those vehicles may have been "assembled in America" but where were all the parts of those vehicles MADE?

PS, I drive a GMC crew cab, a Ford Crown Vic and the wife drives a Pontiac.
The engines for the Ford Superduty are made in Indianapolis, aluminum castings in Akron, Ohio, and the Dana Corporation which makes the frames and axles assemblies is made in St. Mary's, Ontario Canada. Whoooo Weeee not American made...look it up, it is 64 miles from our border and about double that to Detroit.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and Ford imported over a billion dollars worth of parts from China last year as well as expanded imports from India. I guess none of them made it onto your truck?

Here's a short list of where ford parts, the ones that your American truck is made from came from.

South Korea
Poland
Mexico
Spain
Germany
China
Canada
USA
Japan
Taiwan
South Africa
Brasil
Austrailia
Denmark
India

Last edited by Airpacker; 04-08-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Registered

Yeah and it's anti American people like you that cause me to keep buying more guns and ammunition. Cry me a river buddy, just remember as you drive you GM products who is milking the american economy
Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by outlawinil
Yeah and it's anti American people like you that cause me to keep buying more guns and ammunition. Cry me a river buddy, just remember as you drive you GM products who is milking the american economy
So now I have to ask, WTF are you talking about?

How is questioning where the parts of your American vehicle came from "anti American?. You obviously have trouble reading in context or you are so paranoid and dillusional that you make things up to support your perceived arguement.

As I stated, I own 3 DOMESTIC vehicles. Not one imported car in my driveway BUT, I know for a fact that a large percentage of my DOMESTIC vehicles are IMPORTED parts.

My whole point here is IF someone is going to rally around the cry of "BUY AMERICAN", one should know what the heck they are talking about. Apparently, you do not and so have resorted to some ill conceived personal attack against me because I dared bring the FACTS to the table about the non DOMESTIC content of your DOMESTIC vehicle.

Please feel free to stick your head back into the sand or from where ever else you pulled it before making that post and return to your normal routine of denial.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Those vehicles may have been "assembled in America" but where were all the parts of those vehicles MADE?

PS, I drive a GMC crew cab, a Ford Crown Vic and the wife drives a Pontiac.
I hear what you are saying and it pisses me off to...All I can do is my best. And that means looking for Assembled in USA.
By UAW workers.
I want a Pontiac G8 GXP real bad but will not buy one because of it not being a USA build.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Registered

It's built in America by Americans in a factory founded by an American, Henry Ford and it's got an American name. That's good enough for me and I believe that is what the fellow Americans posting on this thread were talking about.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a global economy now. Where ever the cheapest part can be made and assembled is wher its going to happen if you want to be competitive. If everthing had to be made and assembled in the US we wouldnt be able to afford to buy one plain and simple. Is a foreign car any better I dont see it today or in the past. The foreign cars ran for ever but the bodies fell of them and when it did need a part look out now you really paid. Interesting my wife bought our first foreign car a Nissan Murano about two months ago. She bought it because she liked the way it looked and drove. Ironically a big sticker on tyhe windshield of all the Muranos stated: built and assembled in Japan. It was a statement that they feel is a positive to the US consumer.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what they failed to mention in that story was the UAW killed the us car co's...not particular cars..hard to compete when you are paying 35per hour and higher with all benifits when your compititon is paying 15per hour with not long term retirment strapped on their back from years past ?? and our government let this happen ?? now don't care where a vehicle is assembled...just follow the $$$$..where do you think all the profits from jap cars assembled here go ???? time to do the math !!
Old 04-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Registered

So now I have to ask, WTF are you talking about?

How is questioning where the parts of your American vehicle came from "anti American?. You obviously have trouble reading in context or you are so paranoid and dillusional that you make things up to support your perceived arguement.

As I stated, I own 3 DOMESTIC vehicles. Not one imported car in my driveway BUT, I know for a fact that a large percentage of my DOMESTIC vehicles are IMPORTED parts.

My whole point here is IF someone is going to rally around the cry of "BUY AMERICAN", one should know what the heck they are talking about. Apparently, you do not and so have resorted to some ill conceived personal attack against me because I dared bring the FACTS to the table about the non DOMESTIC content of your DOMESTIC vehicle.

Please feel free to stick your head back into the sand or from where ever else you pulled it before making that post and return to your normal routine of denial.
Yes, the whole auto industry uses parts sourced all over the world. GM's parts are 90% North American sourced, and the US is still the largest portion of that.

An American car is one built by an American company, that simple. If you buy a Ford in Germany, it isn't a German car, it's an American one. If you want to say assembled in Germany, fine. No Honda will ever be an American car, that is simple.

Best yet are the foreign car buyers claiming how American it is, because it is built here or some sticker claims what % is "domestic". Here's how that works. The Jap's use their same koritsu (look it up) suppliers they have always used. They open an assembler here, where they ship all the parts to and assemble them local to the plant. For example, a dash assembly may cost 1K. $300 of which is value add of the resin for the dash and labor done here, the other $700 is hang on parts and electronics from around the world. So, the Koritsu supplier pays a few local guys to assemble parts from all over, and then ships the profits back home. Then, the transplant is able to mark the sticker with "$100" worth of "domestic" part, when only $300 was done here, and all the profit from that went back to Japan.

American people, which lack pride and are sheep, now claim their Honda is American, and unashamadly bash the domestics and hope they go under.

And if anyone wants to talk "free markets" and how it's the domestics own fault clearly doesn't know the first damn thing about the global auto market.

Oh, and as to the original article, it is a bius hack job at journalism. Hybrids still aren't economically viable and who knows how much Toyota lost over the years selling the Prius, or ripping the H2 which brought in a ton of profits, etc. Any unininformed jackoff who knows nothing about the industry could cobble up a similar piss poor story with no facts or basis.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
what they failed to mention in that story was the UAW killed the us car co's...not particular cars..hard to compete when you are paying 35per hour and higher with all benifits when your compititon is paying 15per hour with not long term retirment strapped on their back from years past ?? and our government let this happen ?? now don't care where a vehicle is assembled...just follow the $$$$..where do you think all the profits from jap cars assembled here go ???? time to do the math !!
The pay of the actual workers are barely any different and sometimes lower than the transplants. This crazy "overpaid UAW guy" idea is a myth. However, the Big 3 have 100 years of "history" to pay for in the terms of pensions and healthcare for half a million retirees. The Japs gov't pays for all their retirees and healthcare, so they have no legacy cost base to pay for. Just one of the many things that don't make it a real "free market", other than the US lets anyone who wants to sell a car here to do it. No other market is like that.