Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   engine noise? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/207097-engine-noise.html)

Fixxxer22 04-17-2009 01:26 PM

engine noise?

i have just installed my engine. and i had it running and am letting it warm up. i think the noise it makes in the bilge is normal. it sounds like a light tick not lifter noise. not rod or bearing noise. i think it is the valve springs. i used a borascope and verified the two clearanced rocker arms were not contacting the valve covers. it has a 731 cam, roller lifters, roller rockers. is there a normal noise that comes with them? oil level is good and is 20w-50 valvoline vr-1.

johnny b good 04-17-2009 01:53 PM

It could be exhaust flappers or exhaust shudder valves.

spazboz 04-17-2009 02:44 PM

Or an exhaust leak IE:Head to manifold.

acaruso 04-17-2009 02:55 PM

exhaust leack /I have had to go to MR gasket for gaskets on gils '''low cost gaskets ,will just tair:rolleyes:

DORaymond 04-17-2009 03:17 PM

If it is fuel infected, the injectors can make noise.

Fixxxer22 04-17-2009 03:42 PM

i am pretty sure i know what an exhaust leak sounds like. i think it is just the valvetrain. mabye the flappers. i never cared before when it was the factory setup. now every noise and drip is a big issue to me.

JaayTeee 04-17-2009 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by johnny b good (Post 2846524)
It could be exhaust flappers or exhaust shudder valves.

That would be my bet.

Griff 04-17-2009 07:46 PM

The internal exhaust flappers will make noise, but are generally kind of intermittent. You can put your hand on the exhaust hose where the tips connect and even feel it when you here the noise. It could just be normal valve train noise, but without actually hearing it in person, I doubt anyone will know for sure.

Rockfish71 04-17-2009 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22 (Post 2846503)
i have just installed my engine. and i had it running and am letting it warm up. i think the noise it makes in the bilge is normal. it sounds like a light tick not lifter noise. not rod or bearing noise. i think it is the valve springs. i used a borascope and verified the two clearanced rocker arms were not contacting the valve covers. it has a 731 cam, roller lifters, roller rockers. is there a normal noise that comes with them? oil level is good and is 20w-50 valvoline vr-1.

First thing frist who adjusted the valve train and is it right? Stop running the engine till u know the valve train is adjusted right...... did you replace the valve springs for the cam your running you can not run stock springs they will coil binde with that lift are you running stock rockers they are only good for .500 lift max or roller rockers?

point92mach 04-17-2009 08:42 PM

I do not think that the valvesprings can make much noise unless they're broken...even then you'd probably never hear it.

More likely is that a rocker or two has been adjusted a little loose and you're hearing the tick of valve lash.

I'd recommend pulling the valve covers and making sure there's no contact with the the rocker arms, and then re-adjust the valves.

Greg