Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Oil Temp sensor....where? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/210637-oil-temp-sensor-where.html)

GSELITE2000 06-09-2009 05:18 PM

Oil Temp sensor/Water pressure....where?

I am going to add an oil temp sensor to my Gen IV 454.

Where should the sensor go?

Scott

SFOcean 06-09-2009 05:40 PM

Into the oil pan.

GSELITE2000 06-09-2009 06:24 PM

Oops, forgot, also adding a water pressure guage...

Where is an accurate place to tap into the water stream?

Scott

GSELITE2000 06-09-2009 06:25 PM

Oil Temp...

Is there no easier place than the oil pan for the oil temp that might still be accurate. I notice there is a plug in the oil filter adapter...would that work, or would the sensor potentially block flow?

Sledge Hammer 06-09-2009 07:50 PM

You will get your most accurate reading from the oil pan, but I can appreciate it is problematic since you probably don't have a place to put it in. While my engine was being built I had them put the bung in. Previously I tapped in at the galley just above the oil pan. I can't compare the difference as they are different motors, but my builder said the pan is the most accurate. I think you should still be able to identify what is normal and then know if you see a change if you had it mounted in the galley.

ezstriper 06-09-2009 08:48 PM

I rum mine in the oil filter mount, works fine...Rob

Griff 06-10-2009 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by ezstriper (Post 2884714)
I rum mine in the oil filter mount, works fine...Rob

What kind of temps are you seeing there???? Have you checked the temps for accuracy using a laser gun to the pan???
I have oil temp guages that wired and are not hooked up. They would be relatively easy to hook up there, but I did not think I would get an accurate reading.

Reed Jensen 06-12-2009 05:09 PM

Always put the sensor in the pan. Only the pan... the pan the pan the pan. You want to know what is happening to the oil just as it comes off the pistons and bearings. If your engine is melting down, you will see a spike in the oil temp in the pan. If you check the temp after it has gone through the cooler, you don't have a clue what your engine is doing. Put the sensor in the pan.

fbc25el 06-12-2009 05:28 PM

I put mine in the oil line leaving the oil pump going to the cooler.

GSELITE2000 06-12-2009 11:39 PM

I followed my oil line....

leaving the oil pump and the first stop is the filter, prior to the oil cooler. Therefore, I am going to assume that the temp at that point is pretty close to being directly from the oil pan.

I am looking for problem indicators as opposed to perfection.

Therefore, I have convinced myself that I will put it there.

I just had the engine replaced, I don't want to pull it just to have the oil pan modified for a temp sensor.

Thanx for all the replies. I guess I will see how this works.

Scott