Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Knock Sensor (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/211997-knock-sensor.html)

Pete280 06-29-2009 08:07 PM

Knock Sensor

I keep getting a code 44 every so often, code 44 is knock not detected, I replaced the sensor last year, is it common for these to go bad often? Any idea where to get the connector? it is a push in connctor that is specific to the sensor, I want to try and replace that in case it's corroded,

Thanks

Pete280 06-29-2009 10:06 PM

more or less stock, 502 mpi, reprogrammed ecm and gil exhaust, that's it.

Rage 06-30-2009 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Not Right (Post 2899530)
I keep getting a code 44 every so often, code 44 is knock not detected, I replaced the sensor last year, is it common for these to go bad often? Any idea where to get the connector? it is a push in connctor that is specific to the sensor, I want to try and replace that in case it's corroded,

Thanks

Is the code 44 for knock "NOT" detected or "KNOCK DETECTED".

Boat Tech 06-30-2009 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Not Right (Post 2899687)
more or less stock, 502 mpi, reprogrammed ecm and gil exhaust, that's it.

If it keeps coming up then you might have a problem with the inside of the ECM as well. And also X2 on what Rage is asking. Also what octane of fuel do you run 87,89,91

Pete280 06-30-2009 05:38 AM

43 is knock detected, I have never had a 43 alarm and I have ran it with the rinda tool atttached where it says no knock detected. The alarm only goes off every so oftem so it seems like a short somewhere.

i use 87

Rage 06-30-2009 11:17 AM

This is a little difficult to follow. Please clarify

Originally Posted by Not Right (Post 2899788)
43 is knock detected, So the code 44 you mentioned first was a typing error and you ment to type "43" as the code you are getting? I have never had a 43 alarm If you have never had a 43 alarm then what is the "alarm only goes off every so often" that you mention below?and I have ran it with the rinda tool atttached where it says no knock detected. The alarm only goes off every so oftem so it seems like a short somewhere.When it does go off is it after or during a hard run like WOT or what? Are the conditions / situation of the engine when it does go off usually the same or totally no similarity at all? What PCM are you running?

i use 87

Pete280 07-05-2009 02:56 PM

Sorry, didnt see your response.
I have a 2000 502mpi/ Mefi3

I am getting a code 44, which is "knock not detected",

Yesterday it happened, after about 15 miles into a 22 mile run, 1-2 chop conditions, running about 4K rpm. The boat started to run poorly after that, I didnt push it and limped to my destination.

I cleared the code and on my trip home, got the alarm again, I ran about 3K rpm on the way home in about 2-3' seas.

Pete280 07-06-2009 09:50 AM

The ecm has been reprogrammed if that matters,

does the timing automatically retard if this code is present?

I took off the sensor and hooked it up to an multimeter and I get 3.85 ohms (I think I am measuring ohms), when I tap on it with a screwdriver I can get it up to 4.5 ohms, not sure if that means it is working.

stevesxm 07-06-2009 10:23 AM

what the hell does "knock NOT detected" even mean ? i would think that's a GOOD thing... why should it hate that ? and yes... when people are screwing around with the ecm code it is not uncommon for all the alarms and triggers to be hopelessly screwed up. if the knock sensor is triggered, you get a " knock event detected" log entry and it kicks the timing back until it goes away and then gradually works it back up... it would never ever occur to me to "tune" or program an ecu unless i had a box stock spare one to use as a test piece for times like this.