oil temp too hot any suggestions? >

oil temp too hot any suggestions?

Notices

oil temp too hot any suggestions?

Old 07-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 X 18 oil cooler should be good for a min of 750 HP @ 6000+ RPM. If your cooler is good, you haven't likely found your problem.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Do a search on here for oil pressure by pass valves. It's located in the oil filter pad on the block.

If it's the stock valve, the oil will take the path of least resistance and by pass the filter and cooler.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
Do a search on here for oil pressure by pass valves. It's located in the oil filter pad on the block.

If it's the stock valve, the oil will take the path of least resistance and by pass the filter and cooler.
its a dart block. I dont believe it has the bypass valve.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Registered

What is the jetting in the carbs and what carbs? Lean will cause this problem.

Do you run flat tappet lifters and is so what is the seat pressure?

But in all likelyhood the engine clearances were set up too tight. Do you know the rod and main clearance? What weight oil are you running?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
What is the jetting in the carbs and what carbs? Lean will cause this problem.

Do you run flat tappet lifters and is so what is the seat pressure?

But in all likelyhood the engine clearances were set up too tight. Do you know the rod and main clearance? What weight oil are you running?
the cam is a hydraulic roller, the carb is a pro systems dominator I will have to look at the jets again. the plugs are nice and brown. I ran the boat shut it off and checked them. I dont have the rod and main clearances but I will find out what they are. I am running valvoline vr1 race oil 20w50.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Registered

Make sure your raw water pump is good. I recently had higher than normal oil temps with normal coolant temps and what appeared to be plenty/normal amount of water out the back. Changed the raw water pump and all is well.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DORaymond
Make sure your raw water pump is good. I recently had higher than normal oil temps with normal coolant temps and what appeared to be plenty/normal amount of water out the back. Changed the raw water pump and all is well.
its new but I will pull it off and check it anyway.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DORaymond
I had the same issue last week and also had a loose belt so at idle all and low speed cruise all was fine but above 3500 rpms oil temp would start to creep past 220 deg. After cruising @ 3800 for about 45 minutes it slowly made it up to 260-270 deg before I decided to back down to 3400 and let it cool. I was nervous it was blow-by or a bearing going away so first I decided to replace the raw water pump, back-flush the cooler and tighened the belt and all is good for me.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your carb jetting. 2 jet sizes are enough for mine to run 20 degrees hotter oil.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Registered

update. the cooler is an eddies marine chrome cooler. it is a 3" cooler and it is 20" long but it has the ps cooler built in. I am not using the cooler as a ps cooler as I have a separate cooler for the steering. the coller flows both oil and water either way and pressure tests fine. could it be too small? the cooler had oil in it but not as much as I thought would be in it. the jetting appears to be fine as the plugs are nice and brown but Hell I am going to try it. whats concerning is that it should cool down after running it but I actually have to basically shut the motor off and let it sit to see any decrease in oil temp. it will go down a little at idle but not like it did before with my old motor(622).???????????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.