Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Old Hynautic System?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/215150-old-hynautic-system.html)

bcarpman 08-18-2009 09:11 AM

Old Hynautic System??

I've read a couple threads that had bad things to say about old Hynautic stuff.

I'm looking to make a trade for some rams and a helm that are late 80's. The pictures look like they are in good shape, and supposedly they work fine.

Any thoughts?

Is there anywhere to reference part numbers for this stuff to determine capacity? They came off the same boat, but that's no assurance the ratio will end up being correct.

thanks

northernoffshore 08-18-2009 09:24 AM

Nothing wrong with Hynautic rams you can plate them if you like the chrome look. It's the full hydraulic helm (not power) . You can uses a char lynn helm if you don't like the feel of it. Works good on o/b's and there is a lot of force on those running at full speed.

bcarpman 08-18-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by northernoffshore (Post 2934000)
Nothing wrong with Hynautic rams you can plate them if you like the chrome look. It's the full hydraulic helm (not power) . You can uses a char lynn helm if you don't like the feel of it. Works good on o/b's and there is a lot of force on those running at full speed.

Does that mean I can't hook it up to my existing power steering pump like I was planning on? I guess I don't understand how they work. I thought the helm didn't know the difference.

Do you know of any references that would explain the difference between a powered helm and a non powered helm?

I run fast for long periods of time and I have a feeling I wouldn't like a non assited system.

thanks

northernoffshore 08-18-2009 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the hynautic helm. You can probably use the brazil valve set up (imco style) or char lynn with a cooler and a sealed power steering pump. Manual hydraulic isn't bad at all, but it isn't power steering.

bcarpman 08-18-2009 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the picture I was sent. It looks different. Any idea what this is?

thanks

fastdonzi 08-18-2009 02:14 PM

I'd run that with out power steering. Power steering is just another load on the motor, another belt to come off, another cooler to fail, and I like the feel of non power steering more anyway.

bcarpman 08-18-2009 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by fastdonzi (Post 2934229)
I'd run that with out power steering. Power steering is just another load on the motor, another belt to come off, another cooler to fail, and I like the feel of non power steering more anyway.

ANy other thoughts on this? It's a 26ft V that probably weighs 5000lbs. I'm trying to get it to around 80mph, and I frequently run 30-40 minutes at a time (each way) in 2-4ft slop at 40-60mph with an extra 1500lbs of people and stuff. I don't want get back to shore after every trip out and feel like my arms are going to fall off.

Anyone have a similar boat that runs those speeds without power steering that can give me some thoughts?

northernoffshore 08-18-2009 03:26 PM

That is h21 helm you need a reservoir can about a 100 bucks on ebay . nothing wrong with this system, you'll like the way it feels on a single engine . you have to run both rams because there unbalanced.

Rookie 08-18-2009 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by bcarpman (Post 2934249)
Anyone have a similar boat that runs those speeds without power steering that can give me some thoughts?

The Hynautic helm that you have in your picture is a Hynautic 20 series helm pump. The pump will displace (depending on model) 2.0ci/revolution - 2.75ci/revolution @ 1000psi. These are acutaul pumps that do not use a power steering pump. They are a self contained close loop system. You get rid of all the power steering stuff and inboard rudder connections. The pump is used on planing hulls up to 50' and 750-1000 HP. The H40 series in Northerns pic is up to 5.5ci/revolution @ 1000psi and is used in planing hulls up to 70' and 1500 HP.

It is a matter of opinion if you like them or not, I have a couple friends that use full power Imco, Latham, WPM or whatever steering. And a couple that use the system you are looking at. I use the H21 helm hooked up to Marine Machine Cylinders. You can also use a Capilano helm pump, I have seen these used on some fast outboard cats.

bcarpman 08-18-2009 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by northernoffshore (Post 2934276)
That is h21 helm you need a reservoir can about a 100 bucks on ebay . nothing wrong with this system, you'll like the way it feels on a single engine . you have to run both rams because there unbalanced.

I've got a Latham reservoir. I assume that would do?

Any references on how it all get plumbed? I've seen schematics for the assisted systems. Where would I look for how to plumb this? Gotta figure it's pretty simple, but I'd rather do it once and not miss something.