Michigan Motorz 5.7 MPI? >

Michigan Motorz 5.7 MPI?

Notices

Michigan Motorz 5.7 MPI?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michigan Motorz 5.7 MPI?

Has anyone repowered with a Michigan Motorz 5.7 MPI?

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/Marine...pplications%29

Or any thoughts regarding Michigan Motorz packages in general vs. sticking with OEM Mercruiser? Would very much appreciate hearing any experiences with these engines.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Engines

I am sure their engines are fine but WTF on that price......

This is what you need. Plus it is right from Merc.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/357_magnum.htm

Chris
Old 09-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Registered

The Mercruiser Parts site is listing a 350 mpi alpha at $10,943 new though vs. remanufactured... You'd go with a remanufactured and feel good about it though?

(or am I looking at it wrong -- I'll need a pair so it's a lot of $$$ either way, but I don't want to do it twice for trying to save money foolishly. I actually started looking at the michigan motorz silver and gold 5.7 packages which is probably the way to go, but there's not much marine mechanic time available here - only one marine mechanic who I know and trust and he has a 4-month waiting list - so the turnkey caught my eye... as you say though, it's priced at a premium compared to the silver/gold which are quite affordable for the long block + )

Lots of decisions at this point.

Anyone else who made this decision recently care to share your thoughts on 350 vs. 357 / OEM Merc vs. Michigan Motorz or another non-OEM new engine source vs. OEM remanufactured?

Last edited by island2; 09-12-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Registered

First off, and I dont know this for a fact , but i would be willing to bet the motorworkz is a remanufactured motor.. It says new parts but not new block. Second thing is no one remans like merc. If a part even looks suspect they trash it and walk over to the parts bin and grab a new one.. Third the waranty is good at all mercruiser dealers.. Go ahead and buy the 2 extra years waranty and now you have 3 years of merc waranty. I dont have any connection to merc but have had many of their products.. I curently have a remaned 496 ho from merc in my VIP vindicator and no problems x 2 years.. The motorworx is fuel injected though which I like. Merc also offers a fuel injected remaned motor but it is more expensive than the motorworx I think.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/383_magnum_2.htm
I would prob go with the merc mpi remaned motor If i were you due to the merc waranty. Sometimes you can get a deal form merc if they have a large stockpile and you are willing to take 2.. Maybe ask for free shipping. Or go to a merc dealer and get them to price it for ya. They will sell it to dealers cheaper and most dealers will cut a deal at present due to the economy..

Chris
Old 09-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Registered

This is a great deal and would take care of you in all ways .
its MPI. Its new. It has waranty and if you call scott and tell him you want 2 he will prob do 2 fo them for 12k total.

Chris
Old 09-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Registered

I buy motors from here they are brand new base long block gm motors they will give you a better price
http://www.1800runsnew.com/NLM/powerpack-NLM.html
Old 10-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Registered

What do you think of the Crusader Power-Pack SD Special
Multiport - with Exhaust System for $5900? I always thought of crusaders as power for big heavy cruisers... but it's a way to get into EFI without spending a fortune. Any thoughts?

Still also thinking of a pair of 357 mercruiser remanufactured, but am a bit confused as I see half the people selling them as 275hp and the other half selling them as 325hp; it seems they're now shipped from merc as bravo only and then converted by the seller to alpha by changing the coupler, taking off the raw water pump, and maybe adding an interrupter for shifting -- is this correct? Anyone know why the hp difference between sellers of the mercruiser 357?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by island2
What do you think of the Crusader Power-Pack SD Special
Multiport - with Exhaust System for $5900? I always thought of crusaders as power for big heavy cruisers... but it's a way to get into EFI without spending a fortune. Any thoughts?

Still also thinking of a pair of 357 mercruiser remanufactured, but am a bit confused as I see half the people selling them as 275hp and the other half selling them as 325hp; it seems they're now shipped from merc as bravo only and then converted by the seller to alpha by changing the coupler, taking off the raw water pump, and maybe adding an interrupter for shifting -- is this correct? Anyone know why the hp difference between sellers of the mercruiser 357?
what do you have right now? Do you want fuel injection or carb? if you have carb or EFI now? just buy a GM long block and install all your hardware on the new base engine that 1800runsnew sells it is a brand "new GM engine" The same that mercuriser sells @ double the price... mercruiser dose not build there new engines they buy them from GM and repaint them to seal them and install there stickers on them don't be fooled that mercruiser builds there new engines yes they do do there own reman engines and buy there black engines and make them there blue 500 hp motors are still a GM base that was reworked bigger cam roller rockers
Old 10-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Registered

What I have now is a pair of 1990 mercruiser 350 magnums with 4bbl carbs. They were run in saltwater for ~700 hours. I just dropped a valve in one; the other was replaced 5 years ago with a crate engine, but after going this far, I'm thinking of redoing the pair at the same time so I end up with everything perfect and a perfectly matched set. Current carbs run ok, but could use a rebuild probably. Exhaust mainfolds are pretty new and not corroded, but unfortunately previous owner saw no need to replace with the same brand on both sides (one is aquapower and the other glm) so I wouldn't mind replacing and selling those while I'm doing the swap out so they match (though I'm probably the only one that would notice, other than everyone else on the forum here). Will replace one water pump, one starter, and one engine coupler, maybe both (previously one engine was run out of alignment, so wouldn't be bad to replace while engines are out). Each of these small things adds up a bit, so thus I'm waffling on whether to go long block or try for more turnkey and try and sell the old parts to recoup a few hundred at least.

I'd like to get 300 hp to 325 hp per engine. This summer I put on a brand new pair of alpha gen II drives and transom assemblies, so ~300 hp at the prop is the limit (couldn't and can't afford new bravo drives). But I'd like to see as close to 300 hp as possible.

Fuel injection would be nice. Not necessary really. But nice.

It seems like the easy way to get 300 hp is with the newer vortec 350s vs. my older 350 magnums which were only rated at 270 at the crank when new...

Thanks very much for any and all thoughts...
Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm running two of the PCM 350 complete carb to oil pan motors. Well over 240 hrs many of them pretty hard 4500+ rpm for over an hour at a time. Start right up no smoke no knock 40 psi oil pressure at idle and don't leak or burn oil between changes. I'm happy with them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.