496 antifrezze gone >

496 antifrezze gone

Notices

496 antifrezze gone

Old 11-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 496 antifrezze gone

I took the boat out to winterize in October checked the port motor it was downabout a quart of antifreeze.I topped it off did full winterized.I went to take the batteries out yesterday and noticed the antifreeze is gone except a 1/4 '' in the bottom of the tank I checked the oil its still on the full line not over but the oil did seem a little thicker ten the starboard side. couldn't see any in the bildge the plugs are out for draining any suggestions Pleaseeeeeeeee
Old 11-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Registered

Do a search on here and pressure ck it. or try this

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...eze-bilge.html

Last edited by rush; 11-20-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Registered

Mine leaked around the gromets that seal the exchanger to the block.After that the actual exchanger leaked bacause of a crack and the antifreeze drained out the air drain into the bilge and out, this happened over the winter and I didn't notice till the spring.Anyway warranty covered it
Old 11-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

If its not leaking in the bilge, then most likely its mixing with the exhaust cooling water and the heat exchanger is cracked.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:43 AM
Registered

Angry

ok I filled the resivoir with anti freeze put 16# of preasure it took an hour and some of the antifrezze is gone preasure is o but nothing in the oil or bilge
Old 11-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like your heat exchanger is cracked. My brother has a 496 in his Monterey and last winter ran into the exact same problem you are describing. That was his first winter leaving the boat on the lift in the marina. He drained the engine but there was enough water laying in the heat exchanger (large tube looking thing in front of the engine) and it froze over the winter cracking some tubes. Lesson learned and now he runs anti-freeze through the engine after draining the water.

Not sure if this is your problem, but the symptoms you describe are the same. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

let us know when u find the problem
Old 11-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Where did it Go??

Hello Sonic 28:

Make sure you don't run that engine until you find the leak, that leak could be going into the raw water system which is not dangerous to the engine, but if its going into the pan or oil system and you run the engine, it can damage and destroy parts. I would reccommend draining all the oil into one clean container and see if the antifreeze is in the bottom of that oil. The water (antifreeze) is actually heavier than oil and will settle to the bottom, and when you drain the pan from the bottom with the hose it will come out first. the drain on a cold motor will be slow, but you should not run or heat the engine until you know where the antifreeze is going!
You can also pressure test the system again with spark plugs out and see if any antifreeze comes out spark plug holes when cranking only. good luck on nthe search, lets hope its something fairly minor and easy to fix.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Registered

Red face

thanks guys, before i do anyything if i pump up and purge the heat exchanger and the closed cooling ssytem anti freeze comes i assume that will be the heat exchanger. am i correct?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Registered

ok couldn't wait I took my little blue pump and purged the heat exchanger Yup you guys where correct antifreeze poured out thru the little evacuation balls nice orange antifrezze.Do i assume its the heat exchanger there is only 140 hours on the boat.If thats the case I don't have to take a valium thank G-d

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.