Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best subwoofers >

Best subwoofers

Notices

Best subwoofers

Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have added, everything I am taking out (the Polk speakers in the QLogic boxes, Kenwood head unit and 10 disc Cd changer, the two Kenwood amps and the Profile amp) are available for purchase if anyone is interested.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Registered

Not too sure about the use of the capacitor Bill. Lots of people have different opinions about those and most say that it'll hurt more than it helps. All it does is store energy for when the sub amp draws more current for longer bass notes. If you've got good batteries, you won't need the cap IMO.

Before you do all this, you should really come down to my shop and check out the Wet Sounds stuff. I can probably price it better than the JL W7's and I'm putting my money on the XXX being better, but you'd have to power it right.

Age has nothing to do with disco balls bub... I've got 1 hanging in my shop, and 1 hanging from a tree at our camper
Old 12-29-2009, 01:47 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by jonyb
Wet Sounds XS-10FA, as I said before. These are designed for infinite baffle, 250W rms, 500 peak. http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/XS-10FA.html
How does it compare to the Alpine Marine 10" rated at 300W rms and 900W peak????
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=SWR-M100
Old 12-29-2009, 03:43 AM
Registered

I've never heard the Alpines, but considering all of their stuff is priced high compared to their competition, it probably ranks right next to the Kicker KM10's and Clarion FA's.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:57 AM

Jonyb, maybe I will do that, boat is in storage right now but plan on pulling it out in late february and doing an overall cleanup and repair, get the hull blue printed, some upholstery repair, some other little things, but the stereo upgrade is the major one. I really like the idea of box mounted subs under the backseat.

One last questions, what batteries are the best for powering this system
Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Originally Posted by boatinbill
Jonyb, maybe I will do that, boat is in storage right now but plan on pulling it out in late february and doing an overall cleanup and repair, get the hull blue printed, some upholstery repair, some other little things, but the stereo upgrade is the major one. I really like the idea of box mounted subs under the backseat.

One last questions, what batteries are the best for powering this system
Odyssey Batteries.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Originally Posted by jonyb
I've never heard the Alpines, but considering all of their stuff is priced high compared to their competition, it probably ranks right next to the Kicker KM10's and Clarion FA's.
I have 2 Alpines and putting about 250W rms to them and they sound very good, but have never heard the Wet Sounds. Alpine retail price is high, but ebay price is about half that.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM

which Odessey battery?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Registered

Bill, my boat and most of my customers that upgrade have used the Stinger batteries. I'm a dealer for those as well. Dave Brown has one for his stereo with the on-board charger, my boat has 3 with 3 chargers, and there's a few other ones out there too.

I have an SP800 for starting the boat, running the lighting, and powering the ballast system. 2 SP1500's are for the stereo alone. With 4 WS amps, I can play this for a few days. The amps are pretty efficient though. Obviously the alternator isn't enough to charge these batteries and we don't run much, so the stereo plays mostly when the boat isn't moving. The chargers are hard-wired so all I have to do is throw a cord out when I get back to the shop or camper, and plug it in. All 3 are tied to together under a panel and have a single 50' 12 gauge cord. The chargers charge the batteries, then shut off. The batteries are dry-cell, so they can't be trickle charged.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had a pair of Rockford Fosgate HX2 Power 10's wit the 400 oz magnets in my SVT Cobra and all I can say is DAYUM! Idon;t know about having them in a boat though, they were HUGE POWER HOGS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.