Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Boost gauge necessary? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/222969-boost-gauge-necessary.html)

86scarabIII 01-18-2010 02:57 PM

Boost gauge necessary?

Putting 177 blowers on 454's.

Do I need to run boost gauges? What are the pitfalls if I don't? A couple reasons I don't really want to run the gauges are I don't want to drill into the intake, I don't really have room in my dash, and bottom line I think its just gonna be a pain in the ass. BUT I don't really want to "cut corners" either if it is necessary.

Did boats that came with 525sc's have boost gauges?

Thanks,
Kris

James 01-18-2010 03:26 PM

Make a bracket and mount a 2" booste gauge on the engine, you really only need to look at it a few times for reference with first installed, then the next time you will need to look at it is when you have a problem

Scarab3DMC 01-18-2010 04:09 PM

pm sent.. but them in the dash.. sorry bro..:drink:

powercat 01-18-2010 04:56 PM

The 177 intakes should be predrilled and tapped. You have to ask yourself what's going to be more of a pain in the ass, installing boost gauges or rebuilding engines.

Griff 01-18-2010 06:29 PM

I would never run an SC'd engine without them. Mount them where they are visible from the helm while underway. They can give you indications of a small problem before it becomes a big one.

Raylar 01-18-2010 09:44 PM

Tools to prevent mass destruction

In my opinion adding wide band 02 sensors would be a better and more important addtion. If you don't get the air fuel ratios right on a supercharged marine engine under boost, that engine is on a quck trip to the parts basket, the broken parts basket! Some guys think their going to make a WAGMAR (wildass guess made at random)on jetting or fuel delivery rates, go out make a few runs and come back and read plugs! GOOD LUCK with that plan!
Irrespective of boost, if you don't get those air/fuels right from the outset on you're gonna be hating life!! Only takes about 30 seconds or so under boost at Wide open throttle to smoke a forged piston and possibly grenade the entire engine!
Just food for thought.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

HotPursuit 01-18-2010 10:03 PM

Boost Gauge and you should run a Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge.. O2 sensors dont last long in a marine exhaust.The dont like water,even with dry exhaust. Pain now or a big $$$$$$ pain later.

ezstriper 01-19-2010 06:22 AM

yes, you need a gauge, no the intakes are not drilled, but there is a boss for the fitting....you will never know where you are without it...Rob

Panther 01-19-2010 08:27 AM

If you put in gauges, I'd go with a boost/vacuum gauge. It's good to know what's going on with the engine.

Also, when you're driving you can use the gauge to optimize your cruise speed/rpm vs. gasoline consumption! ;)

1BIGJIM 01-19-2010 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 3026836)
WAGMAR (wildass guess made at random)on jetting or fuel delivery
Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Ray, I love that. I plan to use "WAGMAR" in a Scrabble game next weekend on my grandson.

He might be calling you on it:drink: