Whipplecharged Mercruiser 502 mpi Operating Temp >

Whipplecharged Mercruiser 502 mpi Operating Temp

Notices

Whipplecharged Mercruiser 502 mpi Operating Temp

Old 07-12-2020, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipplecharged Mercruiser 502 mpi Operating Temp

I have a 1997 502 mpi with a sidemounted Whipplecharger (Whipple is a 2001 model). Boat has run fantastic for many years with this set-up, but I have a few questions that I'm looking for advice on...

Lately, I have noticed my temperature gauge creeping up toward 180 after some runs up and down the lake....even at just cruising speeds. I do not have a thermostat and was wondering if this sounds high? Even though outside temperatures have crept up into the 80s and 90s (and water temp is consequently warmer as well), I am paranoid that this is starting to run too hot. A couple thoughts.....could it be my impeller starting to go bad (standard Bravo I drive)? Or, do the impellers just kind of go bad all at once and it would be obvious it had failed (instant overheating)? Or, could it be that my intercooler is malfunctioning? As far as I know, the Whipplecharger (including the intercooler) has never really been serviced. Does coolant need to be added every few years? I'd also like to add....as weird as this sounds, I have noticed my engine exhaust sound suddenly get louder as I have been running down the lake (again, not full speed and only toward the end of the day after running at cruising speeds for a while). When I hear this louder exhaust sound, my gauges all read "normal" (other than the aforementioned temp gauge approaching 180). And, when I stop and let the boat idle for a second and take off again, the sound is back to normal. What in the world could cause the exhaust to suddenly get significantly louder....and, could it be related to my paranoia over the overheating?
Old 07-13-2020, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

When was impeller last changed? How many hours on it?
Old 07-13-2020, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PA.WOODCHUCK
When was impeller last changed? How many hours on it?
It has probably been 6-7 years since it was replaced (approx. 200 hrs?). I just wasn't sure if.....when an impeller dies, does it go all at once and it would show immediate overheating? Or, can it be a gradual failure over time where my operating temp might start creeping up higher than before (as I'm describing)? Like anyone, I don't want to replace if I don't have to.....but obviously if this sounds like a textbook example of a dying impeller, than I'll go ahead and do it.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Coolant ?? you're running closed cooled..........change the impeller and back flush the system
Old 07-13-2020, 10:04 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Used Impellers can get relaxed, can lose some of impeller, and impeller housing can get scored.

When you replace housing and impellar check for any blockages in sydtem, especially frt of oil cooler, fuel cooler, etc. Impeller, sea weed, pebbles, organisms, etc can block some tubes and thus water flow. If real old or used in salt water ar any times, rust chunks can get stuck beginning of exh riser passages.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Used Impellers can get relaxed, can lose some of impeller, and impeller housing can get scored.

When you replace housing and impellar check for any blockages in sydtem, especially frt of oil cooler, fuel cooler, etc. Impeller, sea weed, pebbles, organisms, etc can block some tubes and thus water flow. If real old or used in salt water ar any times, rust chunks can get stuck beginning of exh riser passages.
Thanks. It is water cooled (not closed cooling like in the 496 or newer HP engines). It has never been run in salt water either. All of this is great info.....thanks. BUT....is anyone able to comment on the proper operating temp for a Mercuriser 502mpi w/a Whipplecharger (no thermostat) after several runs up the lake at medium throttle? I mean....maybe I'm just more observant than I used to be, and, it has always been creeping toward 180 on hot July days. Does anyone know what temp I should be running with that system?
Old 07-13-2020, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

with no thermostat it should not see 180 deg.as already stated change the impellor and check the coolers for trash.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Without a thermostat the temperature is dependent on the integrity of the cooling system. And at this point it appears the thermo-efficiency of your cooling system might be compromised at the impeller. With your setup I would be on top of the impeller changes every year. A hotter engine is more prone to detonation. Change out the impeller and housing new and see where you are at. It's a simple change.

Last edited by Rookie; 07-13-2020 at 02:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mike tkach (07-14-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

It died about 4 yrs ago(LOL)! I think mercury states every 3 years max
Old 07-13-2020, 04:39 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by The Nerd
Thanks. It is water cooled (not closed cooling like in the 496 or newer HP engines). It has never been run in salt water either. All of this is great info.....thanks. BUT....is anyone able to comment on the proper operating temp for a Mercuriser 502mpi w/a Whipplecharger (no thermostat) after several runs up the lake at medium throttle? I mean....maybe I'm just more observant than I used to be, and, it has always been creeping toward 180 on hot July days. Does anyone know what temp I should be running with that system?
Yes, under 140f. My ATI 502 MPI ran gawd awful low water temps eiyh their crossover and no t-stat. Usually under 120 and s lot needle sitting at 100f because of our lake being cool/cold 1/2 the time of boating season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.