fuel pump blower motor >

fuel pump blower motor

Notices

fuel pump blower motor

Old 01-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump blower motor

Good afternoon, I'm building a 406 sbc with weiand 177 with 850 BG carb. would fuel delivery be sufficient with a block mounted mech fuel pump so as to avoid all the extra plumbing with elec.pump regulator etc.? I already have a 1/2" pickup tube,hi flow filter, #8 line to pump. boost should be approx. 6psi. thanks for any info
Old 01-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Merc used mechanical pumps on ALL their carbed blower motors up to 1000hp. There are quite a few aftermarket marine pumps with even greater capacity than Mercs SBC pumps.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, it seems like a lot of people build some pretty elaborite fuel systems. seems like a bit of overkill. I prefer simplicity. not mention current draw extra switches etc.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

No problem to supply it with just a mech. pump. However, I would run a -10 line from the tank, through the filter/seperator, and into the mech. pump. You can then run either a -8 or -10 up to the carb. Holley makes a nice mech. pump that moves about 120 gph at 7-8 psi. Edelbrock also has a similar one. Good luck.
Eddie
Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Registered

Heres a kickazz pump if your worried about fuel pressure

http://www.racepumps.com/FuelPumps-Marine.html

same pump but cheeper!

http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=373757

make sure you run a boost referance regulator,theirs a hose that goes to regulator to the intake manifold so when the boost comes in it will bump up the fuel pressure..

Last edited by FIXX; 01-29-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Registered

I think you should put the carb ON TOP of the blower.
Originally Posted by mrfixxall
make sure you run a boost referance regulator,theirs a hose that goes to regulator to the intake manifold so when the boost comes in it will bump up the fuel pressure..
Old 01-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by rdoactive
I think you should put the carb ON TOP of the blower.
i guess you never had a blower bang or pop because of low fuel pressure or because your float bowls run out of fuel ??

I know where the carb goes on a 177 as well as a procharger... fuel pressure is the key to a blower motor,run them lein then all sots of **** happens..i would rather have to much then not enough!!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doggiedave
Good afternoon, I'm building a 406 sbc with weiand 177 with 850 BG carb. would fuel delivery be sufficient with a block mounted mech fuel pump so as to avoid all the extra plumbing with elec.pump regulator etc.? I already have a 1/2" pickup tube,hi flow filter, #8 line to pump. boost should be approx. 6psi. thanks for any info
I do believe you can change all of the lines that you want, but if you are still using the merc water seperater the openings are not very big inside. I changed all the lines on mine and still use the merc seperater and have had no problems .
Old 01-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran the stock fuel pump feeding my 1050 Dominator/250 blower and never had any drop of pressure. My lines were all upped to larger, from the gas tank to the carb, including the seperator. The fuel pump is rebuildable, so you can install the valve body section that has the larger ports.
That said, I don't know how much fuel you will need with the 850. A fuel press gauge (recommended) will dictate if what you have is fine or in need of upgrading.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:18 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,102 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
No problem to supply it with just a mech. pump. However, I would run a -10 line from the tank, through the filter/seperator, and into the mech. pump. You can then run either a -8 or -10 up to the carb. Holley makes a nice mech. pump that moves about 120 gph at 7-8 psi. Edelbrock also has a similar one. Good luck.
Eddie
I agree. Just add the 'vent tube' to make it 'marine' if not already equipped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.